Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
Hi, Guys

I used the Greek vase showing the Amazon with a sagaris as an estimate for handle length.

The sword does have a hydra and baby hydra on the slide. I hope these fittings are not pot metal (zinc alloy). The pommel looks OK in shape. There was a great variation, and some disks were thick, even to the point of being like half a ball.

The blade looks wusha. It may bend, rather than cut. There are several Longquan makers that make real-brass trimmed swords with quality 1050 or 1095 tempered steel blades; and if anyone is thinking about getting a good one, please PM me before purchasing anything from China.

My usable Type 1 swords have a total length of 35.5 inches and 38 inches. The 41-incher I do not use. It sits on display only. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
I decided to make a 20 inches handle for the sagaris, I'm horseless so I have to run and a 24 inches handle is 4 inches to long :-D

I hope to that the sword trimming are ok.
Don't intending to hit someone with the sword so wusha steel is not a problem.
If I do want to hit someone with something I'll use the sagaris and stab him with my akinakes on his way down :twisted:
No, I'm not a violent person :errr:
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be">www.legioxi.be
I'm not a violent person, either. Confusedilly:

But, yes, I can picture your descent to the battlefield... as all of your weapons come into play.
I think a safe occupation for sagaris-ites would be ice sculpture. :lol:

Swords come in all metals and price ranges. And that's fine as long as you realize what you're getting. :grin:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Alanus,
I am sorry that I couldn't post the link for the Trousdale, I was at work and in kind of a hurry. Thanks to Michael for posting the link. I find this culture fascinating and the swords I find elegant. Thanks for all your work guys...
Hello, Quisslan

Not a problem. We have not only "retrieved" Truesdale (an "old guy"-- 1975) but also two versions of Simonenko. It's hard finding stuff on the Sarmatians, but we've got a crack bunch here. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

I think I better post it here.
detail picture of the sword, mentioned in the "New Sarmatian Gothic Spangen Helmet Topic"

[attachment=6720]closeupbewapening.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Hello, Sutoris

I noticed the sword, too. It's a long way from the Type 1 Late Sarmatian style. This thing is short, almost looking like a Roman gladius; and neither the pommel, chape, or grip check look Sarmatian at all... even when we refer back to Middle Sarmatian weapons. I wonder if it might be Iazyage in origin. That could explain the style. In other words, it's Sauromatian, not Sarmatian. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

How would the artist/sculptor get the details of so called battle and armour/weapons? I would assume from veterans or eyewitnesses and maybe battle trophies which may have been on display near Trajan's column. I wonder if this particular rider was given a sword because the romans witnessed some act of bravery or riding skill on his part as all the other riders are "high tailing it" out of there and he looks like he is aiding a downed rider. Just a thought.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Possible! the Hero's sword.
Or maybe it was just a sword the sculptor was familiar with.

Heads up, Michael. I'm moving over to the Private Message board. Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

To Alanus and fellow Sarmatians,

The sword arrived today and as Alanus predicted it's Cry :oops:
The trimming are cheap alloy, they engraved the blade, it's a single hand and the pommel looks crappy to.
I'm going to sand the blade to remove the engravings, weld on a longer tang and make a new, longer grip to make it a two-handed.
Make a new pommel, and electroplate the trimmings with bronze (never tried that on zinc alloy).

You already guessed it, I don't recommend to buy these things :!:
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
Is there any literary source or period illustration showing these long -handled swords being used with two hands?
Oops... 0-:
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
To Sutoris,

Sounds like you've got some work cut out for you. I'm assuming Folkert was making a reference to the same item. Actually, a person can go the other way and spend a fortune. At the moment, there's an original set of jade Han fittings (scabbard chape, guard, and scabbard slide) for sale on Ebay. All of it is selling separately, and it totals around $5,000. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Is there any literary source or period illustration showing these long -handled swords being used with two hands?

Only one-- History, 1.79, Tacitus. There have been critics, claiming Tacitus was talking about the contus only, but Tacitus was a precise grammarian and his sentence structure was honed. The final denominator is actual use. When cutting (either standard bamboo matting or a watermelon) you instinctively use both hands. The swords I own will also cut a sheet of standard 20-weight typing paper. When you swing one, you can't help think, "So, this is why the Sarmatians wore armor!" ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

If anyone wants the quality product, try Jkoo Sword, also known as Samurisword.com. You'll be conversing with Mr. Yang. Jkoo is situated in Longquan, aka "Dragon Springs," and the town has been making quality swords for 2,000 years.

A note to Eduard,

These long-handled cavalry swords were also long-bladed. A practical case for using two hands is simple: the blades were too heavy for extended use with one hand. Archaeological cross-sections show these blades were shaped like a clam; narrow across yes, but heavier-bladed than a Roman sword such as a gladius or spatha. Today's wushu or ti-chi blades are flexible and thin, made for dancing, but the original blades were thick enough to grind into an 8-sided configuration, not the simple 4-sided blade of a gladius or wushu sword. The Type 1 Sarmatian sword was a killer at both ends.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,439 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,364 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 34,168 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer