Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
To those of us interested in Sarmatian kits,

I have reviewed Aleksandr Simonenko's Sarmatian Riders of the North Pontic Region (2009), and found it very helpful. It also challenges some long-held presumtions in the use and origin of Sarmatian weapons. My interest lies in 1st century arms, especially the bows and swords. These weapons arrived with the Roxalani/Sirikes/Aorsi/Wusun-Alans, the last stage of Sarmatian culture from the East, a society that had a high incidence of Asiatic physical traits, about 30% of the women in particular.

Simonenko confirms the earlier statements of Treister when he discusses the early Alanic/Wusun swords, the same swords described by Tacitus: The Type 1 Sarmatian sword is found in North Pontic graves dating from the 1st century to the late 2nd century. Type 1 swords were up to 100 cm (41 inches) long, and were made in China... or developed from Chinese models. My own studies show these swords arose in the late Warring States period, the Chin Dynasty, and continued into the Han Dynasty untill the 3rd century. Here are illustrations from Simonenko:

[attachment=6423]SarmatianWeaponsSimonenko045.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6424]SarmatianWeaponsSimonenko048.JPG[/attachment]

These are the same swords we see on the Orlat Battle Placque, dated to 1st century BC to 1st century AD. This also falls in line with the simultaneous migration of the Alans/Wusun and Xiong-nu/Huns from southern steppes of the Illi Valley/Ferghana to the Pontic region. Also, the bows found on the Orlat placque are exactly the same as arriving in the Pontic region. From Simonenko: "The earliest finds of parts of the so-called 'Hunnic' bows in Sarmatian graves are dated to the second half of the 1st century AD. Besides Porohi, the plates (syahs) were found in the Ust-Labinskaia and the Suslovsky cemetary." Most interesting-- a number of thumb rings have also been found, indicating the style of bowmanship. Also here is an illustration from one of the belt plates found with the Orlat placque; and it shows the upper section of the bow tipped foreward, which is correct form (from my own experience);
[attachment=6425]SarmatianWeaponsSimonenko034.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6426]SarmatianWeaponsSimonenko006.JPG[/attachment]

Simonenko also discusses the fallacies we believe today when it comes to the actual use of the contus. It was not always used two-handed. When used on the horse's right side, a direct attack, the contus was held by the right hand while the reins were held in the left hand.

[attachment=6427]SarmatianWeaponsSimonenko021.JPG[/attachment]

This illustration comes directly from the Orlat placque, which is the most technically accurate depiction surviving from steppe antiquity. Well, maybe no-one cares, but I thought I'd post this stuff anyway. :-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
We do care! I am intrigued by the scabbard slide and how far down the scabbard it is placed (illustration 1)

Are there any metallurgical reports on the weapons included in this book?

I'm also intrigued by the image of the two horsemen and what looks like an upside down face at the point of the Kontos? Most odd! (And the plaited tail...and the fact the horse looks more like a mule!!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
where can you get this book? you have more info on it?

looks like an interesting book. especially since i don't know off many books around there about sarmatians.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Could the face above the spear point be the head of a defeated enemy?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Back to Everyone,

This book was published in 2009, so it should be available on Amazon. I got my copy via PDF from a friend. Simonenko is a Ukranian professor, so the book is in Russian... but the text is repeated in English translation toward the end of the book. There are few volumes on the Sarmatians, only three I know of, including an Ospray version (not particularly accurate). The Golden Deer of Eurasia discusses early Sarmatians and does give the part-Asian ethnicity, stating that even the first Sarmatians had traits of the "Usun and Saka," but the weapons are far earlier than the Type 1 swords mentioned and shown in my above post.

Yes, I think the human head depicted in the illustration is actually a prize hanging from the horse of the rider getting "contus-ized." The horses do have a very stylized "pose" on the Orlat placque, and it matches very closely-- especially the stance and shape of the legs-- to the Saka horse, c. 300 BC, on a yurt rug found in an Altai kurgan, pictured below:

[attachment=6441]SakaHorsemanPazyryk300BCE.jpg[/attachment]

And here is a view of the Orlat placque showing more details:

[attachment=6442]OrlatBeltPlaquefromSogdiana-2.jpg[/attachment]

Simonenko does not get into sword metalurgy. However, we have accurate info by chinese experts concerning the development of this style of sword. It began as bronze, changed to pattern-welded iron-steel in the 3rd-2nd centuries BC; and finally arrived to three-part welded lamination in the 1st century AD. To view the final product, you can google Jkoo Sword Co., hit "Chinese Sword," scroll down to "Fancy Fittings Sword," and click on "Zhan Gao (Warring States) Sword. This is representative of a 41-inch Sarmatian cavalry sword, but it does not have a scabbard slide. This sword-- Type 1 Sarmatian-- was the standard Chinese sword into the 3rd century AD, called a "jian" (sword). It was replaced by the jian dou (sword knife), then by the dou. (In the Tang dynasty, a princess was sent to Japan to marry their prince. She brought two Chinese swordsmiths with her, and the earliest katana swords have their maker's marks.)

For my own swords (made by Jkoo), I have positioned the scabbard slide about 2cm higher on the scabbard... which is more in keeping to the way they were pictured on the Orlat placque. Confusedmile:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

The book is available as a pdf downmoad via SCRIBD. A day "pass" of $9.50 (or so) will get you access to this and MANY other really useful and interesting books or articles. You'd be amazed what's in there!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Could the face above the spear point be the head of a defeated enemy?

Like this idea! I have been harbouring a (probably outlandish)
wish that the fringed decoration we see on 1st C AD Roman caavlry stele in some way represents scapls from fallen victims. My favourite chap Insus would be a prime candidate.

[attachment=6443]7132828811_2da5b7a32b_m.jpg[/attachment]

Moi Watson

Quote:The book is available as a pdf downmoad via SCRIBD. A day "pass" of $9.50 (or so) will get you access to this and MANY other really useful and interesting books or articles. You'd be amazed what's in there!

Thanks for the location, Moi

The book is not on Amazon, so SCRIB is a helpful, perhaps only, source. We have been waiting for years for a book like Aleksandr Simonenko's. To often, the weapons found in Sarmatian graves are not discussed in print while great praises and many photos show us Sarmatian art. Nothing wrong with "aht" (as we say in Maine) but we have really needed an handle on their weapons... sort of speaking. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Here are a few photos of a couple of repro Type 1 Sarmatian/Chinese swords. Basically, I followed the illustrations found on the Orlat placque.

[attachment=6448]wusuncavalrysword016b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6449]wusuncavalrysword015.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=6450]wusuncavalrysword016c.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6451]wusuncavalrysword016d.jpg[/attachment]

One sword was made with carbon steel, the other with folded steel. The fixtures match 1st century examples found in the Pontic and Crimean regions. The other day, I was showing one of these swords to my grandson Devyn; I picked up a sheet of paper and cut it clean with a quick swipe. This must be why the ancients invented armor! :whistle:

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote: Here are a few photos of a couple of repro Type 1 Sarmatian/Chinese swords.
They look brilliant!

Quote: The other day, I was showing one of these swords to my grandson Devyn; I picked up a sheet of paper and cut it clean with a quick swipe. This must be why the ancients invented armor! :whistle:
He must be thrilled to bits with such a grandpa. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello, Robert,

Thanks. I think my grandson was no more surprised than I was! It was the first time I'd tried a trick like that-- cutting a piece of regular paper. The blades are made in Longquan, the town's craftsmen forging them continuously for 1,300 years... which actually goes back to the original Type 1 Sarmatian swords. That fact, I find historically connective. And of course, I never actually thought a sword could shave through anything as light as a sheet of writing paper.

The "gems" on the swords are called "aventurine," a lot like jade yet less expensive. The red stones? I don't know, maybe Indic garnets. If so, then they are technically accurate.

Confusedmile:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Alanus - very nice swords! I have recently bought a Han dynasty sword myself - although a much less posh one from Ebay. The handle needs re-covering, and the scabbard slide needs re-binding (I don't think paracord is period!) but other than that it is great. This will be for a Xiong-nu / Orlat impression, using the plaque and the textile fragment at Noin Ufa as a starting point.

What do you make of the armour on the plaque itself?
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
[deleted]
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Hello, Nadeem

Welcome to the Type 1 Sarmatian sword club! Converting the Chinese sword to Xiong-nu or Alanic is easy and fun. For the grip and slide binding, I used cotton twine, available by the "ball" in my local hardware store.

I think the armor depicted is lamellar, or lamellar and scale in combination. I tried making a comment on your Facebook page, but Facebook never allows me to comment. I type it in, and then nothing happens. :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:We do care! I am intrigued by the scabbard slide and how far down the scabbard it is placed (illustration 1)

I'm intigued with that particular placement, too. The sword beside it appears to have the slide positioned correctly. Maybe, this is archaeological error. Quite often, too, we see Type 1 grip areas shown too short. These were two-handed swords. Here is a photo of the sword hanging at the angle shown on the Orlat placque:

[attachment=6465]cull013.JPG[/attachment]

:-)

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,396 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,320 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 33,989 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer