Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pompei gladius from Xanten
avete Omnes

I am looking for some pictures of the pompei scabbard from Xanten,somebody can help me? thank you very much.This scabbars shoud have a point similar to the point of the portonovo gladius....
PierPaolo siercovich
Is this the one in Miks A800, a find in Xanten insula 31/36, with scabbard plate? There are no other finds from Xanten listed, none show a scabbard point.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
thank you very much Robert,so htere is not a point of scabbard found in Xanten......
PierPaolo siercovich
There have been loose finds of scabbard pieces from Xanten (endterminals), but only one sword with scabbard. Most of these are fragments and it is not stated whether or not these were part of a gladius scabbard. Here is the best one I could find from Xanten, it has been identified as a Pompeji, is this what you are looking for?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Here is the description, I had some trouble inserting it, so had to change it from TIF to JPG, which worked :-)

Just realised I may be violating copyright issues for Miks posting the picture in public domain, so it has been removed.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
hello Robert

thank you for what you show me,and please what about this sword whit scabbard?is possible to know what kind of sword is?
PierPaolo siercovich
It's a Pompeji, but it only has the locket with the suspension bands preserved. It is damaged, though.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompei gladius munazio planco 0 811 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Last Post: munazio planco
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,073 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70
  guttman pompei gladius finish. munazio planco 3 1,297 12-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Last Post: munazio planco