Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survey on Roman Re-Enactor Methodology and Sarcina
Salvete,

I am a student of History at Dalhousie University, in Nova Scotia, and I have found these forums to be very productive and informative in helping build an understanding of the ancient world. For one of my courses, I am looking to explore the methodology of Roman Re-enactors based off of some papers published in the Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies a couple of years back. (Specifically "Re-enactment as reasearch: towards a set of guidelines for re-enactors and academics" by W.B. Griffiths and "Recreating the world of the Roman soldier: the work of the Ermine Street Gaurd" by Tim Haines and Graham Sumner)

For this project, I've developed a survey which I've sent to a few different re-enacting groups with a web presence, but these forums should serve to help get individuals which I have not been able to speak too. If any individual which has a Sarcina would like to pm me, I'll be sure to send the survey to you to help me.

Also, I'd be interested if any of you know of more articles or writings talking about the use of re-enactors and re-eneacting to help with the academic understanding of the Romans. If you do, it'd be awesome if you mentioned them in response to this post.

I've attached the survey I am using to this post, so you can see the kinds of questions I am asking, but I don't believe it'd be very useful to respond to it in the forums itself. It'd likely be very wordy.
William Coney

Student at Dalhousie University
I don't see the attachment. But a couple of us in our group have sarcinae, and may be of some use to your study. We'd be glad to help in any way we can.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Whoops. Sorry about that, must have bugged out on the attachment. It should be attached to this post.
William Coney

I seem to be unable to attach the survey, but if any of you wish to see it specifically, just shoot me a pm on the forum.
William Coney

Have you considered or tried contacting Dr Marcus Junkelmann? He's a historian, re-enacting and experimental archaeologist so I'm sure he'd be the sort ideal for answering your survey Smile
aka Samantha
ROMA ANTIQVA VII CLAUDIA
Glasses in my avatar are so then I\'m not squinting and giving myself a headache. Generally not worn while on site, if I can help it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Gibbon\'s survey of all Roman group shields richsc 0 1,014 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Questions about sarcina Aetheric991 21 5,455 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Nurglitch
  \'sarcina\' documentation Carlton Bach 19 4,305 12-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Lucius Aurelius Metellus