Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depictions of Late Roman Armor
I'm looking for murals and mosaics and etc from the 4th-5th century that depict armor and weapons, I've found a few online, one of which depicts an Intercisa IV helmet, but that's it. And I can't be sure if they're authentic too, I don't know archaeology.

Also, I have an images from "Vergillan Manuscript", which is 3rd century correct? I have it listed as 5th century and i cant remember.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MMFA, your first attachment is from Dura Europos and is too early for your 4th/5th century period. Is this request in relation to a certain poster's insistence on another site (coughs!) that Late Romans wore leather armour after Phil Barker?

I will do some research and post later when I am at home. It will interesting to see what is posted up!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
The first image that you think is the Intercisia, is as stated too early to be that, and is actually the cloak of the soldier in behind when you look carefully.

I have some other images and will try and post later if you are looking for more period images.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Ravenna Mosaic

Santa Maggiore mosaic 2

Santa Maggiore mosaic 3

Santa Maggiore mosaic 4

Sixth/Seventh century missorum

Jaime
Have a look at this thread, especially the photographs of the fragments of the Column of Theodosius and the discussion of the Column of Arcadius:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/17-roma...mitstart=0
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:I have an images from "Vergillan Manuscript", which is 3rd century correct?

The Vigilius Vaticanus is probably c.400. The illustrations might be based on earlier ones, or might be invented (!), but could also be correct in places... Never did quite believe those mail hoods though.

Quote:The first image that you think is the Intercisia, is as stated too early to be that, and is actually the cloak of the soldier in behind when you look carefully

An easy mistake to make though! Thread about it here:

Julius Terentius fresco

Meanwhile, here are a couple of late 3rd/early 4rd century depictions of armoured soldiers:

1. Arch of Diocletian c.303

[attachment=6395]ArchofDiocletian1.jpg[/attachment]

2. Arch of Galerius c.299

[attachment=6396]Galerius2b.jpg[/attachment]

Other possible images, besides those already mentioned, would include the 4th/5th century ivory plaque from Egypt showing troops in scale armour accompanying an official, an ivory pyx from the same period showing very similar soldiers, the Arch of Constantine (showing soldiers in muscled breastplates), the 'labour of Hercules' mosaic from the triconch hall at Piazza Armerina, showing two soldiers in scale armour and what looks like intercisa helmets.

Nathan Ross
Thanks guys, I also forgot my usual Avatar of Aetius is depicted wearing Scale Armor Big Grin

@Markus/SBH Thanks for the Correction

@Renatus Looking through that Thread

@Theodosius I love those pictures, thanks a bunch

@SBH Yes it is related to the TWC Thread, I intend to use evidence in my arguments.

@Nathan thanks for the depictions

Anyone have a link to the Hunting Scene that depicts an Arcuballista?
Quote:Anyone have a link to the Hunting Scene that depicts an Arcuballista?
Following the link in this post may give you what you want:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/13-anci...=15#316431

Be warned! It comes out very large. You may think that it hasn't loaded properly but, if you zoom right out, you get the image.
Michael King Macdona

One of my links in the 4th Century Gear thread, that to one of the fragments of the Column of Theodosius found in 1973, seems to have failed. Here is another to the same image:

http://www.livius.org/a/turkey/istanbul/...rs_iam.JPG
Michael King Macdona

Hope this helps a little:

Detail of one of the mosaics at the Piazza Armerina, Sicily, dated very early 4th century, and provisionally linked to Maximianus Herculius - hence the Labours of Hercules mosaics of which this is one.

[Image: DGA576963.jpg]
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:Detail of one of the mosaics at the Piazza Armerina, Sicily, dated very early 4th century, and provisionally linked to Maximinianus Herculius

Thanks! I was trying to find a picture of that one online but nothing came up... :-)

I know the 'Maximian' connection is made quite often, but I have serious doubts about it.

Incidentally though, does anyone know why the soldiers in the mosaic appear to be bleeding from the head?
Nathan Ross
Are representations that reliable? Feugère discusses the ring-helmets on the columns of Traianus and Marcus Aurelius which led to misinterpretation of horse-equipment as helmet rings.
Incidentally the 5th Century Depiction of Aetius in my Avatar is wearing Scale Armor.
Quote:Incidentally the 5th Century Depiction of Aetius in my Avatar is wearing Scale Armor.

Interesting that many of the late armor depictions appear to show scale armor on the sleeves, at least short sleeves. (hence the reason I wanted to do it on my reproduction).

Here are a few we haven't listed (usine IE, since FF doesn't upload photos now)

Here's a 5th Century coin of Odocavar wearing scale.

[attachment=6400]Odovacarcoin.jpg[/attachment]

Worchester huntng scene

[attachment=6401]worcester-hunt.jpg[/attachment]

Villa_Romana_del_Tellaro

[attachment=6402]VillaRomanadeltellaro.jpg[/attachment]

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Nobody's mentioned the Vergilius Romanus yet? For shame....

[attachment=6405]vergilius_romanus.jpg[/attachment]

"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman armor (or the lack thereof) Vadormarius 8 2,177 01-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna