Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boudicca\'s last stand
In the UK on business, going to where I think the battle occured!!!
See RAT thread on this subject......you could be in the UK for some time.
Kevin
Kevin
Anyone have a metal detector I can borrow?
Kevin
True, but it is worth a shot. What is the worst that can happen, I dont find it? Then I am back at square one....like everyone else.
Quote:going to where I think the battle occured!!!

Maybe remind us where that was again? ;-)

Quote:Anyone have a metal detector I can borrow?

I'd keep quiet about it if you get one... :errr:
Nathan Ross
Steve....apparently thats been done as well....your best bet is to follow the threads on this subject and msake up your own mind where to go. There are some pretty good places for this accurately located............the worlds your oyster chap.
Kevin
Kevin
Why is it illegal to use one? I just play a dumb tourist.
Kevin

True again, I have done some reseach and my master thesis is one spatial narratives, Boudicca's last stand being one of my case studies.

Thanks
r/
Otto
Kevin

Remember, by doing nothing the site will never be located.
Quote:Why is it illegal to use one?

Nope, but some people take a strong view on the issue! Example ;-)

Quote:I have done some reseach and my master thesis is one spatial narratives, Boudicca's last stand being one of my case studies.

Are you planning on publishing the research? Let us know what you turn up anyway!...
Nathan Ross
Fair reply......but we aint found it yet......we/the forum/the public and more, dont want you to waste your time here...if you wish to look for the said battle place then be it on your head if you see nothing but remember the treasures that are to behold if you decide to go further north......to the "wall"
Kevin
Kevin
Why is it illegal to use one?
The legality is an issue of;
a) trespass, i.e. you need the consent of the land owner to enter land.
b) theft, you'll need consent to dig, remove anything without consent it is straight theft.

Note some areas you may consider searching may be Scheduled, then your straight off to gaol (Jail).

If you do find anything it is good practice to report it to this scheme http://finds.org.uk/

Be aware your actions may risk deterring land owners from allowing others to study the site if you bimble in first even with your tourist head/excuse on.

I have no idea how your awarding institution would regard research premised on a criminal act, might be ok I guess.

If you do bring a metal detector over can I suggest you also bring along a hand gun just in case, customs will be just fine about it.
Quote:Why is it illegal to use one? I just play a dumb tourist.

But when you get caught and possibly prosecuted, the entire RAT Community now know you're not a dumb tourist. :wink:

...and a lot of private landowners take a very dim view of metal detecting without permission.

And if you happen to go anywhere near a Scheduled Monument in your quest, then you may indeed be in the UK longer than you think.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
OK guys relax, you Brits take things to seriously

Of course I just wouldn't trot into someones' land with or w/o a metal detector. Especially w/o land owner approval and not without local help(yours). However, I am going to visit the site(or the possible site)tomorrow.
Quote:OK guys relax, you Brits take things to seriously

Of course I just wouldn't trot into someones' land with or w/o a metal detector. Especially w/o land owner approval and not without local help(yours). However, I am going to visit the site(or the possible site)tomorrow.

I'm very glad to hear that. Of course we take it VERY seriously! It is our Heritage and metal detecting, although it can have its uses in an archaeological context, tends to make those of us who are archaeologists worry about treasure hunters who show little regard for the context of the find, just the find itself.

On another point, are you going to tell us where you are visiting? It may inform the other thread.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!