Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IN Search of Officer Tunic Pictures or Drawings
I am searching for pictures or drawings of Officer Tunics of the 1st Century. I understand that they had some sore of decorative band or stripe on them.

Were there different patterns, colors etc. that would distinguish one rank from another? And if so... what for What rank.

Also the article of material that was used to tie and knot around the Cuirass... I would like information on those as well. Did they match the stripe on the Tunic?

Patrick
Are you talking about clavi, the vertical stripes that were on tunics?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Um... Embarrassed. Yes!
William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.: A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875, has the following to add:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...Latus.html
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hello Patrick

Were there different patterns, colors etc. that would distinguish one rank from another? And if so... what for What rank.

You should attend the forthcoming RAT conference in Regensburg!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I wish I could afford the trip Graham... Just not financially in the place to do so.
Hello Patrick.

I was going to suggest the Roman Army School in Durham next month as an alternative but as you are in America that is probably not much use either.

I have been working on uniforms and ranks and this is what my talks at those venues will be about. Hopefully the results will be published in some format one way or the other very soon.

Otherwise my recent book 'Roman Military Dress' has as much information that I could find on clothing etc...up to that date.

Hope that helps.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Duncan, could you publish a transcript or have a DVD recorded so we Faraways can imbibe your knowledge, sir?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drawings and/or pictures of first century buckles Latinitas 8 2,694 10-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Latinitas
  Cavalry Tunic with woven belt pictures Cheyenne 24 5,362 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman drawings and pictures Caballo 23 4,251 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs