Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What then the \"pilus prior\"
This is a spin off discussion from "Cohort Commander?", and hopefully will not cover too much of the same ground. Since it appears that the pilus prior is not definitely the commander of a cohort, what then is the significance of this position? Did he get paid more than a "regular' centurion? I would venture that it was more than simply an honorific position.

(Moderator: I noticed that I posted this in the wrong place. Please move to the appropriate place)
Roger
Quote: Did he get paid more than a "regular' centurion?

Actually we have no clue about the salary of the pilus prior. There are articles about the pay-structure of centurions (Dobson, Speidel, ...). But they just distinguish between centurio cohortis, centurio legionis, primi ordines and primpilares. And even these findings are often based on solid conclusions, not an undisputable proof.

We even have no final certainty about the ranking and promotion of centurions below the primi ordines. There are at least 4 competing theories about this topic.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Quote:Since it appears that the pilus prior is not definitely the commander of a cohort, what then is the significance of this position? . . . I would venture that it was more than simply an honorific position.
As I understand it, under the Empire there were six centuries in each cohort except the First (and there is evidence that, at times, even the First had the same number). These were led respectively by the pilus prior, pilus posterior, princeps prior, princeps posterior, hastatus prior and hastatus posterior. The pilus prior was, therefore, the senior centurion in each cohort. There may have been additional duties associated with that position but, generally speaking, his significance was no more than that he commanded his own century. There is no reason at all to suppose that it might have been an honorific position.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:........ Since it appears that the pilus prior is not definitely the commander of a cohort, ............

It is worth re-stating that 'we' might well be too hung up on the use of 'commander', but also that there is no reason that the senior centurion cannot 'lead' the cohort, certainly on a day to day basis. All my understanding of Roman (and therefore also Greek & Byzantine) military structures, let alone the post-Condotteri to Napoleonic period when organised armies were effectively re-introduced is also tempered by modern military training (which is first hand); none of which suggests that, even when a cohort (or smaller) was detached for individual duty, that the Pilus Prior (of a standard 6-century legionary cohort) could not be placed 'in command'. We know that legionary centurions could be detached themselves to become Prefects of auxiliary units, so there is no need to doubt their ability.

When more than one cohort was detached (a classic vexilliation of 2 cohorts seeming to be the norm) then someone was indeed additionally placed 'in command'.

I therefore have no worries about the Pilus Prior being the 'senior'.

I am curious about one thing though, that perhaps deserves a separate little thread. I've never seen a centurion rank structure for an Auxiliary Cohort, beyond an assumption that the 6-century ones were similar. But what was the one for a 10-cohort structure? I've only ever been aware that is just wasn't a double-century style like a legionary first cohort, but 10 individual centuries :? .
Quote:I am curious about one thing though, that perhaps deserves a separate little thread. I've never seen a centurion rank structure for an Auxiliary Cohort, beyond an assumption that the 6-century ones were similar. But what was the one for a 10-cohort structure? I've only ever been aware that is just wasn't a double-century style like a legionary first cohort, but 10 individual centuries :? .

According to Domaszewski and Cheesman, the auxilia cohorts had 6 or 10 centurions. One of them was the centurio princeps, who was propably the head of the administrative staff. It seems obvious, that he was also the deputy of the praefect, but it is not proven finally. In the ala we have a decurio princeps accordingly. There is also evidence for a centurio princeps vexillationis.

In the legion, there is also a centurio princeps and head of administrative staff, but just 1 per legion. Perhaps just in HQ of a governor? The responsibilities and reporting lines amongst this Centurio princeps of a legion and the praefectus castrorum and the cornicularius legati is not fully clear for me. However this function has obviously nothing to do with the pilus prior in a legion, even if in an auxilia cohort he seems to be the highest ranked centurio of the cohort.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,565 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  shorts prior to the late 5th c.? TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 2 1,026 07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX