Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Linothorax
Did the Roman Army use the Linothorax (Greek) prior to the use of the Lorica, or solid cuirasses?
I think that during the very early period of Rome's history, pretty much all of their military equipment and tactics were adopted from the Greeks. But before you can assume that Romans wore linen armour you first have to demonstrate that the Greeks wore it. Most of the evidence for the Greek tube-and-yoke armour leans in favour of leather/hide, rather than linen.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Well said, Dan.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
'Linen Clad Etruscan Warriors' by Margarita Gleba opens with textual sources. Have her sources been interpreted differently since then?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:'Linen Clad Etruscan Warriors' by Margarita Gleba opens with textual sources. Have her sources been interpreted differently since then?
The problem is that most of the texts are too early or not Greek. None of them clearly refers to the tube-and-yoke cut, and none tells us how it was constructed (quilted cloth? cloth stuffed with padding? Connolly's glue theory?) Only Aeneas Tacticus and Alcaeus refer to Greeks wearing linen armour which is not explicitly of foreign origin in the classical period, and Alcaeus is rather early to be wearing a tube-and-yoke. Then again, we don't have a lot of descriptions of Greek armour. Ruben Post had some very good and scholarly comments in a long thread a few years back.

White armour in art could indicate linen, or it could indicate alum-cured leather.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:White armour in art could indicate linen, or it could indicate alum-cured leather.
Apparently Athens had a lively white leather export industry. It is unlikely that all of it was used to make sandals.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books