Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lance and Bow Cavalry
There is debate whether Aetius introduced the "Lance and Bow" Cavalry of the Strategikon to the Roman Army through his use of Hunnic Foederati.

Renatus Profuturus Frigeridus, who provides the only description of Aetius, states in that description:

"...He was a superb horseman, skilled with the bow, and tireless with the lance..."

Could this be evidence for the introduction of their introduction int he 5th century?
Maybe but not necessarily. I think the Strategikon describes mixed formations, with some soldiers armed with the lance and others with the bow, although it includes the idea that they should train with both.
My understanding of the byzantine tagma or the very late roman cavalry unit is a very flexible mixed unit with a heavier armed frontline (the leaders of the unit but not neccesarily cataphracts) and less armored but more range oriented cavalrists behind them. Perhaps this was already the case for some 4th century turmae.

However, the sentence you quoted just says, that Aetius himself perfectionized both waepons.
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Evan, you need to check the original before it was translated into English. Often the translator will use a word such a 'pikes' but the latin states 'pila', I've seen 'lance' used for lancea many times as well.

That line also sounds suspiciously like the statement Ammianus made about Constantius II-

'In riding, in hurling the javelin, and especially in the skilful use of the bow, and in all the exercises of the foot-soldiers, he was an adept.'

'Equitandi et iaculandi, maximeque perite dirigendi sagittas, artiumque armaturae pedestris perquam scientissimus.'

I just think it was standard praise by the author for his subject if the subject was a military man.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Yep... for such subtle issues, the original text is always necessary. Words translated as lances, targes, shields, spears... even swords and daggers are very often broad and sometimes erroneous interpretations of much more accurate terms like hyssoi, peltae, thureoi, kontoi, machaerae or akinakes.. The word lance is used either as javelin or spear and only the original can shed light on the text. My examples are of course Greek but I am certain that in Latin texts, the same issue exists...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
I think the passage is Gregory of Tours 2.8, a chapter which Gregory attributes to Renatus Frigeridus book 12. The Latin Library text of this sentence is:

"Medii corporis, virilis habitudinis, decenter formatus, quo neque infirmitudini esset neque oneri, animo alacer, membris vegitus, eques praesumptissimus, sagittarum iactu peritus, contu inpiger, bellis aptissimus, pacis artibus celebris, nullius avaritiae, minimae cupiditatis, bonis animi praeditus, ne inpulsoribus quidem pravis ab instituto suo devians, iniuriarum patientissimus, laboris adpetens, inpavidus periculorum, famis, sitis, vigiliarum tolerantissimus."

So Aetius was a most ourstanding horseman, skilled at the shooting of arrows, vigorous with the lance or contus, et cetera. What contus meant to Gregory in the sixth century I leave as an exercise to the Romanists.

I suspect that steppes cultures had been using both spears and bows on horseback since the early first millenium BCE, although the same man did not necessarily use both weapons in the same fight.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Evan, you need to check the original before it was translated into English. Often the translator will use a word such a 'pikes' but the latin states 'pila', I've seen 'lance' used for lancea many times as well.

That line also sounds suspiciously like the statement Ammianus made about Constantius II-

'In riding, in hurling the javelin, and especially in the skilful use of the bow, and in all the exercises of the foot-soldiers, he was an adept.'

'Equitandi et iaculandi, maximeque perite dirigendi sagittas, artiumque armaturae pedestris perquam scientissimus.'

I just think it was standard praise by the author for his subject if the subject was a military man.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try and find the original latin text.
You might want to look back over the last few posts ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig Caballo 54 16,575 07-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar