Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FacelessBookers sign on here!
In case you're wondering where privacy might matter in everyday life:

Suppose you're in a support group for survivors of violence. You meet someone in the support group and befriend them and don't want to out them and expose them to victim-blaming. You would need to keep quiet about where you met, and you might need to keep separate friends groups. Suppose some of your friends are lesbian or gay and some of your relatives are homophobic, and you don't want to expose your friends to harassment from your relatives. You would need to keep separate friends groups. These are just two hypothetical examples, of course.
What has Facebook got to do with this forum and visa versa.....in my opion it was a stupid thread to start...people know people through RAT and Facebook... please explain exactly what you mean....i have friends from my group and friends from other groups that i comunicate through facebook and RAT.
Is this supposed to mean that my means of comms are not up yo standsard. Sorry if i sound bitchy about this but i dont see the point of it.
Kevin
Kevin
I think the point for me is that a lot of groups and vendors rely on Facebook to promote events and products. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't get to see most of it.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:in my opion it was a stupid thread to start...people know people through RAT and Facebook.
Thank you for your opinion. Obviously, I have a different view, but I don't begrudge you yours, nor do I call it stupid. It's just your view. Nuff said there, I'd reckon.

Do you have a FB account, Mr. Mills? Please read the subject line again, and notice that it's intended just to find out how many RAT members are NOT on FB. Odds are, there are quite a quite a few, and we're free to say so, aren't we? No offense intended here, sir, and I'll overlook your word choice.

Many photos mentioned here are only shown on FB. Those who do not have an account will not see them, so posting a link to FB only photos leaves not a few people out. That's ok, and not against any forum rule. There is also a RAT FB page, on which many things are put that are not on this forum, and that's fine. Some of those are more chatty than informative, some are not, and that's ok, too. Some members of the FB page are not on RAT. Different strokes for different folks.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm not on FB, I closed my account in 2009 I believe. I think i opened it in 2008. They had me for a little while, but I always read the fine print, and the more I read the less I wanted anything to do with it.

But FB does not gather more information about me that a government could not.

I've spoken with several law enforcement officers who have a contrary opinion. I know of multiple arrests that have happened in VA that were direct results from using Facebook as a resource and tracking tool (reported in the Richmond Times newspaper). Also, the News Media uses Facebook HEAVILY. It's the investigative reporter's new best friend.

So, Facebook doesn't gather more info than the CIA can, sure. It does gather more than Cops & reporters can, and then it gives it to them.
Max Little
You can't leave facebook anymore, it won't let you delete your account anymore. It just links you to some stupid thing.

I never had one, but the thing is essentially a nightmare, it's designed to keep you addicted (brilliant as that is).
Quote:Many photos mentioned here are only shown on FB. Those who do not have an account will not see them, so posting a link to FB only photos leaves not a few people out. That's ok, and not against any forum rule.
I did not see the reason for this thread at first but now I do. I am not on Facebook and never likely to be, so I am denied access to certain photos. It may be a bit OTT to make it a rule not to post links to FB-only photos but perhaps a request not to do so would be in order.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote: It may be a bit OTT to make it a rule not to post links to FB-only photos but perhaps a request not to do so would be in order
No, there should not be a prohibition to do anything like that. Post your photos where you want. For those who do not, or never will have a Facebook account, the pictures are not visible. I resisted joining FB for years and years, and lasted about one year when I realized that every idle word, or every post anyone puts on your page is indelible, and even if one deletes a post, it is still saved in the "master file" or some such named place. There are some things that people posted on my page that are not at all things with which I want to be associated, or point to groups or people that I consider either unpatriotic or perhaps borderline illegal, and it becomes "my wall", and cannot be genuinely deleted, I shy away.

I'm not generally paranoid. But when someone is keeping every syllable for some unknown future use, I do tend to become suspicious of their (or their subsequent investigators') likely motives.

The main point here is that when people put a link to a Facebook page, or say, "see my pictures here", they miss many of us. That's fine in and of itself. If I say that I have some great photos from an event printed and stored in a binder on my bookshelf, what's the point? Few have access to my living room, so to speak.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Many photos mentioned here are only shown on FB. Those who do not have an account will not see them, so posting a link to FB only photos leaves not a few people out.
Is that a fact? Most members here post either the pictures themselves or links to other sites? I do not often come across links to FB, but I could be mistaken?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Oddly, until some re- e actors decided it would be cool to link with as many re-enactors
Via Facebook, it was use solely to keep in touch with family and close friends!
And yes I have many photos on it, and apart from certain individuals who proved them selves not to be
Friends, I am not overly concerned about who sees them or any things I share or like on it!
As far as world intelligence agencies go, I think I am more concerned about
What certain other groups and individuals may gather from my posts,
But hopefully not much!
I have found though , that some people use it as a tool to portray themselves
As things they are not! No surprise there then!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Is that a fact? Most members here post
Yes. That was the reason I started this thread in the first place. Most do, but (now I don't remember who) put up a link that says, "See my photos here" and it's a facebook page. Some picture lists, of course, require that you be a FB friend of that person to see the photos.

I don't expect to go back to the social media networks. I might damage my curmudgeon status or something.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
For example, and though it's not Facebook but another members-only site, things like this:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/17-roma...mitstart=0

You can't see the fringe if you don't create an account on that livejournal group.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You can't see pictures posted on RAT if you're not logged in. :whistle:
Maybe we should start a thread here for people who aren't on RAT? ;-)
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Evan, there was a good reason for changing that display bit.

Musivarius--good idea! Cool And while we're at it, a thread for mosaic artists who never use tesselation. Confusedilly:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.