Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On my quest for a TRUE Italic D...
Okay, unhappy w/ <strong>any</strong> of the art I could find <strong>AND</strong> tired of intently staring (mooning) over the photos of the <em>real</em> Italic D from Worms (on romanhideout.com), I am digging into my clip-art and going to draw the bloody thing to work AND look right.<br>
<br>
If you click HERE, you will find some of the eagles I have quickly comped up. Guess I will have to make some kinda page to compare w/ the real thing. For now, look at the egles and please tell me what you think. BTW, to see the Roman Hideout pix, go to:<br>
<br>
-Italic D, front left 3/4 view (from www.romanhideout.com )<br>
<br>
-Italic D, front view (from www.romanhideout.com )<br>
<br>
-Italic D, back view (from www.romanhideout.com )<br>
<br>
--Italic D, top view (from www.romanhideout.com )<br>
<br>
No, I am not going to use any one of the eagle arts I have, but will merge them. I don't know if the real thing had any engraving onthe eagles, you can see the back "temples" certainly did. Those will be much easier to replicate. Oh yeah, I will gett he wreath drawn too, but the form of the eagle seems to me to be important. I am I obsessing over this, no, I can't be, no, I won't, nnooooooooooooooooo.........<br>
Your input is appreciated... <strong>DMV</strong> <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Okay, I made a small page (using graphics gestolen from accross the 'Net) which will only be up a short while. I wanted to compare the different helmets out there w/ the original and its details. Also put the link the the eagle art up there. I think Lonley Mt. Forge seems to have the most authentic.<br>
Italic D site<br>
<strong>DMV</strong> <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
<br>

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Hi Decimus,<br>
I'm Cordvs of the Dutch Corbvlo group.<br>
The Brian Stobbs helmet with the bronze on black/blue surface has recently come into my possesion.<br>
I'ts truly a work of art and has some features I find in the famous Russell Robinson book but not in any of the other repro's.<br>
I don't want to knock or pull down anyones work but features quite often forgotten are the engravings of the eagle and the peculiar shape of its wreath.<br>
Another feature only seen in this version is that the eagle is perched on something continuing below the browplate.<br>
The browplate itself has, by the way,numerous little dents in it as a decoration.<br>
<br>
I take it that NorCal means Northern California so you're nowhere near the European continent to take look for yourself.<br>
But if I can help you in any way by providing close-up pictures of the helmet or scans, if you need them, from<br>
Russell Robinson's book or anything else please let me know.<br>
<br>
Kind Regards,<br>
Cordvs <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>But if I can help you in any way by providing close-up pictures of the helmet or scans, if you need them, from<br>
Russell Robinson's book or anything else please let me know.<hr><br>
<br>
Wow! Great That would be fantastic. In the few pix I have seen, you can't tell if the eagle DID have engraving, but I am going to put it there. I'd love to see close up photos of the details on this helmet!<br>
Best, <strong>DMV</strong><br>
[email protected] <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
<br>

Hi Decimus,<br>
glad to hear you liked my proposal.<br>
I saw you included your private e-mail.<br>
Let's take this of the internet and continue on private mail.<br>
I'll send you the pictures but it will have to wait a little.<br>
As I'm one Dutch members of II Avgvsta I will be attending the Roman march -and have a little Pompeii/Herculaneum holiday first.<br>
So we'll have to continue this in a week or two.<br>
<br>
greets,<br>
Cordvs <p></p><i></i>