Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When was Roman army at the height of its power?
I am one of those voting adoptive era, but I do so knowing it is not the easy, simple answer. Good points have been made throughout the thread here. For instance, I do think that the later roman army had a more diverse set of enemies, generally better equiped and highly motivated, than the enemies during the adoptive emperors.

Another point I find when going through sources is that (even though some authors greatly exaggerate) easy times and rest usually meant a disaster was imminent for the roman army. The legions, at least in some parts of the empires, saw a lot less action than its later counterparts, the later ones fighting both romans and enemies well versed in the roman ways of war.

I myself have always been a stout supporter of Auelian and his acheivements on the battlefield - the army of this era seems to have performed well, including the important battle of Naissus. So if I could I probably would have changed my vote now that I think about it. Alas...
Having been re-reminded - I have to echo Alexander and Macedon; for there is a voting area completely missing....

The big civil war of Caesar-Pompey was only eclipsed by the following with Octavian/Antony v Brutus/Cassius. Some 40 legions + 'auxiliaries' actually fought each other, whilst perhaps another 20 still kept Spain, Gaul, Africa, Egypt and the Eastern provinces well under control.

Certainly at no other time was that actual coherent quantity seen again. Overall quality was certainly as high as at any other time.

Organisationally I believe in much less change over the years than some do, simply a slow evolutionary change to more flexibility.
Which Valetenian ehm :unsure: Valentinian is meant?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'm afraid Andy will probably not enlighten us in this :whistle:
I picked post-476, because it was an option and I'm a wise guy. If you think about it, the Pontifical Swiss Guard could smash even Caesar's legions in a matter of seconds.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Average height of a Roman fortlet in Britain tikeshe 4 1,882 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  sling power/catapult power Johnny Shumate 56 10,747 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman Cavalryman Height? Gaius Honorius Felix 25 6,811 06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Last Post: claudia crisis