Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ruled Raetia in AD310?
Thanks for that. I've actually checked all the (primary) sources you list, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of Raetia and what might have been happening there - only in Zosimus, as I say.

Quote:Apparently Maxentius´Army was facing at the Brenner pass northwards (towards Licinius) when the war broke out.

Do you have a reference for that? I suppose Verona guarded the Brenner, as Aquiliea guarded the Julian Alps, and Max had troops in both places, but they were also heavily fortified cities anyway.

Licinius does seem the most obvious contender for control in the region. I do wonder how secure his hold over Raetia might have been though - Maxentius was looking pretty strong for a while, especially after reconquering Africa, and whatever Roman troops and officials there were in Raetia might have been quietly hedging their bets! This is the best explanation I can think of for the Zosimus quote: Maxentius thinking that all he had to do was cross the border and the province and garrison would declare for him...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Who ruled Raetia in AD310? - by Nathan Ross - 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Who ruled Raetia in AD310? - by caiusbeerquitius - 01-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Who ruled Raetia in AD310? - by Nathan Ross - 01-24-2013, 04:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio III Italica & Province Raetia. Looking for info markusaurelius 6 2,510 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius