Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ruled Raetia in AD310?
Before Constantine's victory at the Milvian bridge in 312, western Europe was divided between three rival Augustii: Constantine himself ruled Britain, Gaul and Spain, Maxentius controlled Italy and North Africa, while Licinius ruled Pannonia and Noricum.

So who was in control of Raetia?

It was officially part of the diocese of Italy, but as Maxentius was a usurper his writ perhaps did not extend to the Danube. He seems to have been at war on and off with Licinius, who captured Istria at one point, but his army was apparently based at Aquiliea anticipating an invasion through the Julian Alps. Constantine could have claimed Raetia himself, moving east from Sequania, but the border area around Lake Constance was possibly still in the hands of the Alamanni from the Agri Decumantes and old Vindelica west of the Iller at this point.

The only reference I can find to Raetia is a confusing note in Zosimus (II.14. 1-2) that after the death of Maximian, Maxentius 'sought every occasion to make war on Constantine' and so 'designed to go towards Rhaetia, which is contiguous both to Gaul and Illyricum. For he imagined that he should subdue Dalmatia and Illyricum, by the assistance of the generals in those parts, and of the army of Licinius.' But, Zosimis says, Maxentius instead sent his army to put down the rebellion in Africa first.

'Go towards' implies an advance rather than an invasion - so did Raetia already belong to Maxentius? Or was the 'army of Licinius' garrisoning the province, but its 'generals' of uncertain loyalties? Or was it a kind of no-man's-land, between the competing emperors?
Nathan Ross
Did you check Anonymi Valesiani / origo constantini?
F. Görres says it belonged to Licinius (Zur Kritik der Diocletianischen Provinzialteilung von c. 297, Philologus 36, 1877, p. 619-626.
In 310 Licinius seems also to have gotten hold of Istria:
V. Picozzi, Unia campagna di Licino contro Massentio nel 310 non attestata dalle fonte letterarie, NAC 5, 1976, p. 267-275.
These might also help:
Lact. de mort. pers. 43, 3. 44, 10.
Euseb. hist. eccl. VIII 14, 7.
Nazar. paneg. IV [X] 25.
Eumen. paneg. XII [IX] 8, 2
Apparently Maxentius´Army was facing at the Brenner pass northwards (towards Licinius) when the war broke out.
Hope it helps.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks for that. I've actually checked all the (primary) sources you list, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of Raetia and what might have been happening there - only in Zosimus, as I say.

Quote:Apparently Maxentius´Army was facing at the Brenner pass northwards (towards Licinius) when the war broke out.

Do you have a reference for that? I suppose Verona guarded the Brenner, as Aquiliea guarded the Julian Alps, and Max had troops in both places, but they were also heavily fortified cities anyway.

Licinius does seem the most obvious contender for control in the region. I do wonder how secure his hold over Raetia might have been though - Maxentius was looking pretty strong for a while, especially after reconquering Africa, and whatever Roman troops and officials there were in Raetia might have been quietly hedging their bets! This is the best explanation I can think of for the Zosimus quote: Maxentius thinking that all he had to do was cross the border and the province and garrison would declare for him...
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio III Italica & Province Raetia. Looking for info markusaurelius 6 2,487 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius