Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syracuse, the Greek city on Sicily
Does anyone know of any decent images (2D or 3D), either real or speculative, of this great city? I am not after maps, but pictures. Ideally, they would be from around the time of the Second Punic War, but seeing as I have none, I'm not feeling picky.

Thanks for any help.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hi Ben,

All I can offer are some photos of what can still be seen there today - some of the temples, the massive walls of the Euryalus fort, the quarries where the Athenian prisoners were worked to death. We published some of these in Jeff Champion's two-volume The Tyrants of Syracuse and Philip Matyszak's Expedition to Disaster so you have probably seen these, but I think Jeff submitted a few more that weren't used. Not sure this is what you are after but they do give some impression of the scale of the buildings and the lay of the land, such as the approaches to the crucial Epipolae heights. If you think they'll be of any use I'll check with the authors and email them to you.

All the best

Phil
Hi Guys,

Sorry to be late into this, but there is a speculative reproduction of an areal view of Syracuse at the time of the Athenian siege in 415-413 B.C. in Peter Connolly's book "The Greek Armies" (a book for school use by MacDonald Educational Ltd., 1977) on pages 50-51. - Fred Ray
It\'s only by appreciating accurate accounts of real combat past and present that we can begin to approach the Greek hoplite\'s hard-won awareness of war\'s potential merits and ultimate limitations.

- Fred Eugene Ray (aka "Old Husker")

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Did Syracuse Not Become A Great Power? Eleatic Guest 0 1,215 01-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  The \"Hieron helmet\" back to Syracuse S. Marcer 0 1,084 10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer
  Syracuse, Archimedes and its walls. MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 11 3,586 04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering