Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) online
I just made a fantastic discovery, which I simply had to share! (I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been mentioned here before, as I almost fell off my chair when I found it.)

The Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum -- almost all of it! -- is available online at Arachne. :woot:

For example, here is the wonderful Volume VII: Inscriptiones Britanniae Latinae (ed. Huebner, 1873). The granddaddy of RIB.

The links are all on this page. Enjoy, epigraphiles!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Cool. That is one of the best resource websites I can imagine. Thanks for posting Duncan.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wow! That is a good find. Thank you for sharing. Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Should we sticky this?
Quote:The links are all on this page. Enjoy, epigraphiles!
Many thanks for that, but I would dispute the lineage. Surely Horsley is grandpa of RIB; CIL is more like a surrogate father ;-)

Incidentally, Arachne has a scan of MacLauchlan's survey of Hadrian's Wall. I am, however, slightly puzzled by their licence: they claim a by-nc-nd CC licence but it is not clear whether that is just their text/layout or whatever or if they are also claiming that for the out-of-copyright documents they are presenting. Blanket licences are always vague and these days, such things matter (think JSTOR & Aaron Swartz; a proportion of JSTOR content is out of copyright now). There is even a word for falsely claiming copyright where it does not exist: copyfraud.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for this wonderful find Duncan, much appreciated.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Thanks a lot Duncan.
Saves me a lot of diggin'around.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Just recently I tried to find an inscription of the CIL on the internet, now you state this link, awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Just caught up with this. Wonderful!! Thank you indeed Duncan!

SPC/Howard
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
A nice compliment to the Epigrapische Datenbank Clauss-Slaby! The later site has transcriptions, but they are not all well-done and well-proofread, especially the expansions of abbreviations.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:A nice compliment to the Epigrapische Datenbank Clauss-Slaby! The later site has transcriptions, but they are not all well-done and well-proofread, especially the expansions of abbreviations.
Too right! I suspect I am developing a skeletal malformation that later generations will diagnose as coming from clutching RIB whilst checking Clauss-Slaby entries ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corpus of Anglo Saxon Buckets Sassanid 5 3,130 02-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sassanid