Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a new Imperial Gallic \"I\" helmet
#1 looks like a steel washer used to set the rivet

Can we see a picture of that ring from #3 next to a coin?
Max Little
Quote:What are the hinge pins made of?

They look like perfectly round, straight, square cut pieces of unrusted steel. IMO

Hey Marco, I do recall us chatting now. Wasn't sure it was you. I think you have to admit however, that some type of liquid limestone type covering over an artifact is not common. In fact I would guess you haven't seen anything like it (neither have I). Especially with that odd white spots all over the place and a totally smooth surface below. You would expect significant pitting, crystallization and corrosion if you consider the surface of the item being covered inside and out in some type of layer.

I urge you to go through with XRF testing. The following link is an interesting analysis through XRF of a similar questionable item.

http://www.collector-antiquities.com/481/

Good luck!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Bingo.
Max Little
We surely will go throught XRF test as soon as possible, Marcus.

About limestone covering surface, I'm afraid my english in not so good to explain well. Under it the surface has significant corrosion and is rough.
On the other hand, the surface under fitting (ear guards plates, brow band, crest holder tube etc), not directly in touch with soil, has just a dark green patina, without encrustations.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Wow gents. I am pretty certain this is a modern artifact.
But if you think it warrents spending the money on this testing, so be it.

Who found it, where was it found, and where is the dig report?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I agree completely, sorry to be unclear. In saying Bingo, I was agreeing that the hinge pin was obviously perfectly produced modern steel. It would have been the most well preserved ferrous hinge pin I've ever seen, were it real. And perhaps the best surviving example known, which I don't believe. Also, that ring from pic 3 looks equally modern and, I was going to guess, perfectly circular.
Max Little
You may be right, of course.
XRF will show us the truth, those are are scheduled on the beginning of februray. I let you know.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
I agree with the previous doubters, and I will enjoy my Deepeeka copy even more now that I see it can look so convincing when "aged". Not the first try, we had several of the cheaper trooper iron helmets appear on the art market as aged, with or without cheek pieces, and one even with a sword hit.

I would not spend any money on any metal testing here either, it is quite obviously an aged deepeeka, sorry to say.
I would think metal testing would only come in to it when there was a certain amount of provenance for an object. And I do mean more then "originating from eastern Europe", as is so often claimed for pieces with no pedigree. Without any background of a piece, the scientific value is very, very limited IMHO. Even if it were tested to be real, what would we learn?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,389 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,343 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,857 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob