Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webster\'s Ostorius Scapula
Webster, G. (1958), 'The Roman military advance under Ostorius Scapula', The Archaeological Journal 115, 49–98

It was the appendix to this paper that got me started on the academic study of Roman military equipment many years ago. I diligently worked my way through all of the footnotes (finding, on the way, that some of them were wildly wrong!) which then led me on to more material. Over the years, I came to realise that much of the equipment was later than the 1st century and some of it was not even military equipment. Nevertheless, a seminal paper for me.

Anyway, the back issues of The Archaeological Journal up to 120 (1963) are now online and you can get the Webster article here.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thank you, Mike!

Shame I didn't think to look at ADS before; just bought an off print of this! :errr:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Some nice info there....thanks Mike, and to Moi for pointing me in the right direction.
Kevin
Kevin