Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News From the Battle of the Egades Islands Project
I just got back from the combined Archaeological Institute of America/American Philological Association conference where Dr. Jeffrey G. Royal did another talk on the underwater excavations from the First Punic War off the Egades Islands.

I am working up a full writeup, but here are some tidbits:
- The rams are in about a hundred metres of water not a few metres as was previously reported. Excavation is by ROV and bucket hoist; all small finds which have been found were pulled into amphorae, helmets, etc. by octopi.
- Ten rams are known thus far, all small and many of them with inscriptions. Based on the size of the keel socket, they were almost certainly attached to relatively small warships perhaps 20 m long
- Eight rams and seven helmets have been raised
- So far only one ram is definitely Punic. The Carthaginians in Sicily had captured many Roman ships, so Roman rams may have come from ships in Sicilian service.

(For an earlier post by Ruben about the talk in 2012, see here).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Looking forward to your write up - sounds very, very interesting.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I second Vindex' sentiments - thanks, and I look forward to reading your report.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Yes, indeed, looking forward to your write-up.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battle of the Aegates Islands Believed found Tiberius Claudius Vindex 9 3,185 08-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr