Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Scourge or Flagellum
Calling all lictors!<br>
<br>
I have reconstructed what I believe to be a good replica of a Roman scourge. From bits and pieces of information, I think it is fairly accurate. As soon as I can, I will connect an image to this link for your scrutiny.<br>
<br>
The scourge consists of three leather straps tied at one end to a turned ash handle. The lashes are about three feet in length. In intervals of about three inches, there are lamb pelvic bones cut into little squares with holes drilled through the middle. The lash is knotted, two squares of lamb bone are slid down and arrested by the knot. Another knot is tied directly above the bone. At three inch intervals, the process is repeated until there is about 14 inches of lash remaining. The knot process is duplicated except lead weights are used instead of bone,<br>
(2 sets). This is done to all three lashes. The middle lash is left slightly longer for the addition of a small metal hook, which is simply wrapped wire shaped like a grappling hook.<br>
<br>
I made the handle from a picture of a relief of one of the few images of a Roman scourge. Like the gladius, it is quite pleasing to grip.<br>
<br>
The first few strokes caused the lamb bone to shard. By the tenth stroke or so, the lamb bone took on the characteristics of jagged teeth. After fifteen strokes on a road kill deer carcass, the skin was easily torn away exposing muscle and backbone. (And deer have a hide stronger than man)<br>
<br>
Needless to say, it doesn't look as intimidating as the supposed Roman scourges used in Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ", but it more than gets the job done.<br>
<br>
But the question remains. How accurate is it? What do you know that I don't? Quite a bit!<br>
<br>
Ave atque vale,<br>
Tiberius<br>
LEG~XX <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tiberius@romanarmytalk>Tiberius</A> at: 3/27/04 4:55 pm<br></i>
What was your reference for the bone and hook?<br>
I would really like to see some photos! I could use your description(and test on the deer) in Sunday school Bible class!<br>
Thanks<br>
Johnny <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flagellum & other torture devices Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 2 1,124 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Scourge Flagrum or whip Primvs Pavlvs 5 3,588 01-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Tiberius
  neptunes scourge TITVS PVLLO 4 2,160 10-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom