Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction and a question
Ave,<br>
I am not currently a reenactor of Roman History, but I have been lurking these boards and a number of websites and I am fascinated by it.<br>
I live in Western Wisconsin and I teach High School history. For the past 8 years I have done living history of the 18th century (emphasis on the French history of the Great Lakes) and for the past 3 summers have been an historical interpretor at the partially reconstructed fur post at Grand Portage, MN (Grand Portage National Monument).<br>
Anyway, I am very impressed with how many of you strive for historical accuracy, and I am interested in whether there are any groups that reenact Roman history in my area. I have little funds to purchase and create the gear to reenact this period (and reenact it well), but I am very interested in slowy putting together an Auxillary's uniform and equipment. I would love to use the items as instructional tools in my classroom, as well as eventually participating in an event myself.<br>
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,<br>
<br>
Isaac Walters <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
You may be in luck! Hit the Legio XX Links page,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/groups.html<br>
<br>
and scroll down to Legio XX Ballisteria near Minneapolis. That's Kurt Suleski's group, and he has built a large and very scary ballista. (His group isn't affiliated with mine, but they're darn good anyway!)<br>
<br>
Around Milwaukee is Legio XIIII Gemina, and Chicago has Legio V Macedonica.<br>
<br>
Of course, if you haven't already discovered the rest of the Legio XX site ("The Best Roman Site On the Net"), just follow the various links from the Links page and enjoy. We WILL find all kinds of ways to help you spend your money!<br>
<br>
Enjoy, and Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
"We WILL find all kinds of ways to help you spend your money!"<br>
<br>
Yikes! I have an easy enough time doing that on my own. I will check out the guys in Minneapolis. The "Cities" are only 2-2 1/2 hours away.<br>
<br>
Isaac <p></p><i></i>
If you're interested, Legion XIIII in Milwaukee is having their annual Roman Weekend on April 17 and 18. Our legion is growing and has members from Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. Here's a picture of our group (in front of Kurt's ballista) www.livinghistorysociety.org/roman/ Feel free to e-mail me with questions. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for the reply. I would love to visit the event, but I am busy that weekend. The Seven Years War era French Marine unit that I am a part of is having their "Spring Muster" that weekend. Thanks again,<br>
<br>
Isaac <p></p><i></i>