Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legions operating together in Britain?
Quote:Frank.

I'm not so sure but was it not the Praefectus Castorum Pomponius Postumus of the 2nd AUG who was in charge at that time, so it does make for an interesting situation as to why he did not move when ordered, could it have been that there were other pressing reasons as to why he did not respond and just where was the Legatus or Tribunus Laticlavus at that particular time.

Unfortunately I don't know details about this case. Fact is, whoever commanded this legion, he had to follow the orders of the province governor. If not, he was in serious trouble. That was my answer to the OPs question. Yes, there was a common strategy, because there was always a commander in chief of the province.

Btw, the prefectus castrorum often commanded a legion as a deputy, especially during wartimes, because the tribunus laticlavius was a bloody newb mostly. Well, even most legati legionis were newbs. Cry
Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas
Frank.

That is very true what you say about a Praefectus Castorum or indeed most senior centurians who had many years of service under their belts, in fact it is even yet the same in the modern military where non commissioned officers at times have to help their leaders through a difficult day.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I recall there is a medal of sort, commemorating the cooperation of legio II augusta and VI during the 3rd or 4th century (date uncertain), but I can't find the image right now.

That's the Aurelius Cervianus phalera: legions II and XX. 3rd century, I've always read - perhaps just because those wide baldrics with phalerae went out of style after that?

There are, I think, quite a few inscriptions and suchlike to mixed detachments of British legions - Corbridge had a mixed garrison for a bit, I think. But these apparently postdate the campaigns in the south of the province.
Nathan Ross
Quote:That's the Aurelius Cervianus phalera: legions II and XX. 3rd century, I've always read - perhaps just because those wide baldrics with phalerae went out of style after that?
That's the one, thanks! I have also heard early 5th c. datings, but I did not yet know it was supposedly a phalera?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I did not yet know it was supposedly a phalera?

Probably a guess - as far as I know, it's just a disc with a hole punched in the middle. Plus the 'Utere Felix' inscription might link it to other belts and baldrics with that same phrase.
Nathan Ross
Quote:Corbridge had a mixed garrison for a bit, I think.
Quite a bit – middle of the 2nd century through to the 4th, with detachments of II Augusta, VI Victrix, and XX Valeria Victrix all serving there. Usually paired (the various inscriptions to Concordia and Discipulina suggesting not altogether happily), but finally taken over by just the VI Victrix when the compounds were united in the 4th century. There was a balancing legionary detachment at Carlisle too, it seems, although I'm not sure if there is evidence for pairing from there.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:There was a balancing legionary detachment at Carlisle too, it seems, although I'm not sure if there is evidence for pairing from there.
Turns out there is. RIB 3459 is a sculpted relief to Concordia (uh-oh!) between II Augusta and XX Valeria Victrix found in Carlisle cathedral, and RIB III also points to RIB 852 (Maryport) and 980 (Netherby) as possibly indicating this same pair operating there too.

Mike Bishop

Quote:There was a balancing legionary detachment at Carlisle too

Good god, man, next you'll be telling us there were legionaries on Hadrian's Wall!... Confusedhock:

These double-legion detachments seem to turn up quite a bit elsewhere, don't they, particularly at the end of the third century: mobile vexillations formed of men of two legions from a single province. Why the Romans should do it this way I don't know - surely using men from a single legion would be easier? Or would that just be too straightforward?
Nathan Ross
Quote:Good god, man, next you'll be telling us there were legionaries on Hadrian's Wall!... Confusedhock:
You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment. The Wallerati hitmen are far too prevalent and accurate, with their concealed, poison-tipped, wrist-mounted repeating catapults...

Quote:These double-legion detachments seem to turn up quite a bit elsewhere, don't they, particularly at the end of the third century: mobile vexillations formed of men of two legions from a single province. Why the Romans should do it this way I don't know - surely using men from a single legion would be easier? Or would that just be too straightforward?
RIB III speculates (not wholly convincingly) that after the split in Britain Legio VI 'couldn't cope' by itself and had to be helped by detachments of the legions from the other province. Make of that what you will. As I said, the evidence from Corbridge suggests pairing is earlier than that. Perhaps it was a management/motivational thing - the equivalent of sending your staff paintballing. A little bit risky but edgy enough to make it worthwhile and build some team spirit. ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:wrist-mounted repeating catapults
:grin: :lol: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.