Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frontages, file widths, file depths, and intervals
I just realized I'd completely misread one of my sources on infantry and cavalry frontages. [Section 43 of the Meursius translation of the Tactica of Leo VI.]

*oops*

I figure we may as well try to share the sources we know of, and their contexts. For my part, I'll start with Polybius, Vegetius, Mauricius, and Leo VI.

Polybius - Discusses infantry frontages in book 18, chapters 28-32. Sarissa-armed infantry can form up with about 3 feet between files. Sword-armed infantry can also form up with about 3 feet between files. Somehow, however, sword-armed infantry require twice as much space between files as sarissa-armed infantry. Something's garbled.

- Discusses cavalry frontages in book 12, chapter 18. Cavalry can form up 8 deep, and apparently about 3 feet between files, so that 800 take up 1/2 stadium with their formations and another 1/2 stadium with the necessary gaps. 3,200 take up 4 stadia [average, including intervals in the frontage].

- Discusses infantry frontages again in book 12, chapters 19-21.

Vegetius - Discusses infantry frontages, somewhere. Roman infantry can form up with an average of 3 feet between files, 1,666 files per thousand paces [average, including intervals in the frontage].

Mauricius - Implicitly discusses cavalry frontages in passing. In book 2, chapter 13 suggests an interval of 1 bowshot - probably about 300 yards - between units in the second line. In book 3, chapter 8, suggests an interval of about 150 files between units in the second line.

Also discusses cavalry frontages in passing in a section on estimating the size of an enemy force. In book 9, chapter 5, presents an unlikely example involving 300,000 cavalry each taking up 3 feet by 8 feet.

Leo - Extensively discusses infantry frontages in chapter 43, and sometimes cavalry frontages. infantry and cavalry take up 6 feet on the march, 3 feet deployed for battle, 2 feet in synaspis, and 1 1/2 feet in syscutum. Obviously the last two are only for infantry. Also discusses intervals.

Obviously these are only a few of the surviving sources. I'd like to see more, and some attempts to make sense of the contradictions. I'm posting in the gaming section because, obviously, this is pretty important to any tactical game. Thanks.
We had a very good discussion about this topic on Total War Center. I will be right back with the link.

EDIT: I can't find the thread, it may have been deleted. I will keep looking, hopefully I can find it.