Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Harii
Gibbon mentions a tribe that attacked at night and painted themselves black. Did other groups paint everything in black? I have been having trouble finding sources on the Harii? Could anyone shed some light on the Harii?
I would suggest Tacitus' Germania, he mentions all major tribes and their customs. I do know that the Harii would paint themselves black and use wooden weapons so they would not glare in the moonlight (obviously they did not have uniform equipment but it has been mentioned). Also it is theorized that the Norse legend of the einherjar (Odin's army of slain warriors) is based upon the Harii and their infamous night attacks.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
Quote:Beyond the range are many races: the most widely diffused name is that of the Lugii, which extends over several states. It will be sufficient to have named the strongest: these are the Harii, Helvecones, Manimi, Helisii, Naharvali… The Harii, apart from the strength in which they surpass the peoples just enumerated, are fierce in nature, and trick out this natural ferocity by the help of art and choice of time: they blacken their shields and dye their bodies; they choose pitchy nights for their battles; by sheer panic and shadowy effect they strike terror like an army of ghosts. No enemy can face this novel and, as it were, hellish vision: in every battle after all the feeling of being conquered comes to the eye first.

Loeb note: Harii: probably between the Oder and the Vistula, southeast of Breslau, being probably the Charini, part of the Vanili, in Pliny…

Tacitus, Germania, 43.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
That description reminds me a little of the 13th Warrior attackers, at least in psychological effect.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:That description reminds me a little of the 13th Warrior attackers, at least in psychological effect.

Ah yes; the Eaters of the Dead!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Is there any other confirmation of the existence of these people? They sound like the sort of story invented by the old veterans to scare the newbies and keep them awake on guard duty.
Pecunia non olet
A little off topic here but that description from Tacitus actually is very useful about modern migration theory.

Back on topic, it's likely that the tribe actually existed, but the stories are probably exaggerated.
Well, if the name is Germanic, the most obvious meaning is "Army" as in Gutiska "Harjis" or old English "Here" or German "Heer."

Which suggests that they may have been, or may have started as, a mercenary army like the Gallic Gaesatae, rather than necessarily a tribe. But since the Lugii are generally considered a cultuc league or at least some sort of league of tribes, I'm not sure whether a mercenary army could fit into the structure.