Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote: You seem to have overlooked Julian's panegyric to Constantius, already cited by Nathan, which gives you another example.
Same problem, smae explanation: this might have been a theatrical one-off for the spectacular occasion. Hey, it's my explanation. Confusedmile:

Quote: I accept that there is a certain amount of rhetoric in Ammianus' description but there is no need to discount its basic accuracy. He describes Sassanian forces in similar terms (Amm. 24.2.10; 24.7.8; 25.1.12).
Indeed, he is describing Persians here, whom we know (from other descriptions as well as artwork to have used such face coverings. May I remind the court that we do not have such evidence barring this description of this particular parade. Wink

Quote: I see no reason to doubt that the clibanarii mentioned by Ammianus were Roman.
neither do I, but I hope that don't have to remind you that Roman cavalry was seldomly Roman-born but very often drawn from foreign peoples. For our period, that included Srmatians, Alans, Huns and Persians. So in fact 'Roman' clibanarii' could well have been not quite 'Roman'. I assumed this was known to the readers.

Quote:On the other hand, such units did not form an overly numerous element of the Late Roman army (only ten units are mentioned in the Notitia) and I don't think that there is any evidence to suggest that regular cavalry units were equipped with masked helmets (those cited in Julian's panegyric being almost certainly clibanarii), so I will go along with you in saying that they were not "a common item".
Thank you sir.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Robert Vermaat - 02-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 801 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,575 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,371 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous