Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accommodating supernumerary officers at events.
There are many different Roman Legion groups many with complete sets of officer impressions up to the rank of Emperor which at events can sometime present an unrealistic portrayal of a very top heavy Roman Army. The officer to troops ratio is not a problem in some instances such as an educational visit to a school where a unit intends to show the students examples of each rank in the Legion. More problematic is what do you do with extra officers at public display events and immersion events. While many reenactors who portray officers are more than willing to take a grade reduction and fall in with the troops when needed there are always those who can't or won't do so. A number of different approaches to deal with the extra officers have been developed by event organizers. Some of these are used alone or can be used in combination:

For public display events the extra officers are organized to depict the staff of a Legionary Headquarters with the extra Centurions attached to the headquarters as was sometimes the case in Roman times. Legionaries who are unable to or do not wish to drill are assigned as the headquarter guard element.

For immersion type events the additional officers are written into the scenario as visiting dignitaries or take turns in leadership roles during events or even play roles as several different ranks and or personages during the event.

For recurring events involving two or more units the command and sometimes organizing of the event is rotated between units.

The best way to prevent problem with having too many officers is to determine and assign roles in advance and make sure this information is clearly stated in the event announcements and information.

Occasional problems arise when a reenactor insists that they MUST be in command for one or more of the following reasons:

"I spent a lot of (or more than anyone else) money on my impression."
" I was a Colonel, Admiral, NCO, or other important job in the modern military"
" I have a degree Masters or Doctorate in history, ancient studies"
" I wrote a book on ........."
" I brought a lot of gear, an Artillery piece or .... with me and if I am not given command I will take my (toys) and go home"

The event organizers should do everything possible to diplomatically settle command conflicts that arise in a manner that is fair to all concerned.

If this is not possible should the events organizers ask the individual to leave? Myself I believe there are so few Romans Reenactors in North American that this should only be done as a last resort.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Yeah that's a good point; how would you settle this kind of conflict? In the 6th we usually only have enough guys for Rusty to be a Centurion and everyone else to be soldiers. Once we had a tribune show up, and at our big events we have enough for Mike to be a Centurion. It probably has a lot to do with planning.
I agree; a top heavy group of reenactors just can't portray a camp properly. Perhaps if a group had a clear set of guidelines as to how to "advance" in rank, it would encourage greater participation and ownership umungst the members? After all, there are different ways to "advance" as a legionary, e.g., be declared immunis, signifier, imaginifer, be authorized to wear torcs, ect. With a little imagination, egos arn't too terribly hard to satisfy.

That being said, it seems like group founders and those who take on most of the responsibility for the running of the group should be awarded the privilege of portraying an officer. As fun as it is to show up at an event and strut around as a Legate for an afternoon, the overall impression is cheapened quite a bit if all one did to "earn" the rank is throw money in the right direction (though I cynically grant that a few historical legates were probably granted their office by doing exactly that!).
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Well, I think a lot of this has to do with an indviduals attitude. No one should attend another untis event and expect to be in charge or play an officer, that's just not how the world works.

As someone who does protray a senior officer, it's really hard to take a demotion.... It's an entirely different kit. Portraying a senior office is why I got into reenacting,. Also, in North America, there just aren't that many who do the impression correctly. And I did spend quite a bit of money on my kit, but I would never expect to be placed in command at an event. When I first started my imprssion, there were only a few other reenactors in North America who were actively portraying senior officers, and many of them were using really cheesy equipment.

But in my experience there aren't a horde of legates out there fighting for command, this seems to be a centurionate issue. Everyone wants to wear their transverse crest and phalarae. I don't get it, but for some reason being a centurion is really popular... and egos tend to ride high... I think asking an unccoperative person to leave to save the event for other is perfectly acceptable. If someone at one of our events give me the line about packing up their toys and leaving, then I will personally help load up.

Joint events should be planned jointly, share command, rotate roles, whatever it takes.

Bottom line is this is supposed to be fun, and it can't be if someone is bitter about not wearing their crest, just don't deal with it, don't put up with it.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
If I may,
What is the status of signiferi in North America? Are American groups overrun with standard bearers, or are they needed by groups? If needed, what specific kinds are needed?

I have not started purchasing reenactment gear for the simple fact that I'm a broke college student, and I want to hold out and buy perfectly accurate gear. That said, I will be most willing to portray any character-whether it be slave, milite, signifier, or emperor.

Regards,
Tyler
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
@ Tyler Here is where a more of less current list of units in NA resides: http://www.ludusmilitis.org/index.php?to...msg636#new Most groups have loaner gear so you don't have to wait to get everything to begin reeacting. A good guide for getting geared up is here: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/hndbk.html (It is used by several different units as a reference.) And a good event to start at is here: Clashofiron.org
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
We have had events in the past, in which we clearly specified "line soldiers only, no need for officers". We wanted to make things look like a soldier camp, not an honor guard. People generally agreed and came as infantry, not officers. Who is in charge of the camp makes the rules of the camp.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:@ Tyler Here is where a more of less current list of units in NA resides: http://www.ludusmilitis.org/index.php?to...msg636#new Most groups have loaner gear so you don't have to wait to get everything to begin reeacting. A good guide for getting geared up is here: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/hndbk.html (It is used by several different units as a reference.) And a good event to start at is here: Clashofiron.org

Many thanks, John. It looks like I'm going to have to do some serious driving if I'm going to make any event. There's not much (any) roman reenactment going on in West Virginia.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Try to make sure that any officer can do more than the drill centurio, the engineer surveyor or architect are officers too so ask if they will play that role. This way you can always go to an event because you can show the pulic someting not just a centurio but one with a special mission.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
If you're in west virginia than Legio IX Hispania is right next to you, I can get you in contact with one of their guys if need be. They go down to our events a lot in SC, notable Castra Romana but they've also shown up at some North Carolina events like the Junior Classical League.

Castra Romana would probably be a great event for you to start if you join Legio IX.
http://legvi.tripod.com/castroromani/

I should note the site needs updates.

Most of us average about a 3 hour drive to and from any event.
Ave, Tyler,
Just a couple of suggestions,: I am workimg on a Naval Officer who, when He shows up with a few of his Marines, would most likely, (I know I will)
Claim he was sent by the Emporer to aid what ever group is in charge.......; Another impression you might enjoy and I have only seen a few here in America is that of a Praefectus Castrum.......At my age (60,lol, I can do either. A third Idea, if you are old enough, an Evocoti....A veteran asked back into service by a Centurio who is a friend........Yep!.....You,too, can re-up for the services. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Good Luck,
Salve,
Vitruvius aka.Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager