Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword
Quote:This Project has now ended with a very pleasing result, i think.

Oh my word! Did you make this??? :o

Can't WAIT for my project to be finished then!!! :woot:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
:grin: No, only the blade. I got word, that XorX is the best blacksmith out there. So I let him forge the blade. The rest was made by Erik König (replik-online.de)
Michael Köhler, Historian
Ah...scabbard being made by someone else, but XorX making the blade Wink
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
That is correct! :-)
I am led to believe the plates disappeared in the later period, with certain elements on the scabbards as well. The swords evolved apparently while still being in use.
It's still a great sword though!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, those heavily platetd scabbards, some of them with silver or even golden elements, are tipically used in the first half of the 1. century. Later gladii of type Pompeii are mostly not that sophisticated. But you know every legionary could order a scabbard of his own when he had the money to do so. Gladii weren't produced in large scale like modern firearms. The legoinaries had to pay them with their own money and coukd therefor enrich the scabbards artistically as they wished. The more expensive the scabbard the higher the recruite's rank. Threfor they were mostly ordered by officers like centurions.
Yes, I was refering to the guard plates though, not the scabbard plates. Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum brennivs - tony drake 24 4,353 05-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,705 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,589 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park