Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With My First Kit.
Well, Robert is right that one of the shoes from Deurne had a spur attached and was contributed to the cavalry, but mrs Van Driel - Murray classes it as a type and states these were found in other locations, such as Vindolanda and shown on the statues of the Tetrarchs. She claims surviving examples of the type from Switzerland, Luxumbourg, France, Netherlands (the Deurne finds) and Britain (York).
She describes 4th century footwear as .. The upper is cut very low, exposing a large portion of the foot, and the shoes are fastened with an anklestrap and stud arrangement, or are tied through ankle latchets My favorite would be the nr 1 shoe, which is the most symmetrical. Where did Robert get his? You could have them made by Dirk Steinhorst of www.cohors.de, he really makes great shoes you can go the distance with.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote: Well, Robert is right that one of the shoes from Deurne had a spur attached and was contributed to the cavalry, but mrs Van Driel - Murray classes it as a type and states these were found in other locations
Van Driel is surely right, and I did not suggest that they were for cavalry only, only that the ones found in Deurne had cavalry connections. The Piazza Armerina mosaics show some nice examples, worn by infantry. I had mine hobnailed as the sole was wearing down very quickly.
However, having used them for 6 years or so, I can attest that although are nice shoes, they are not for sturdy work like cross-country marching. They simply do not offer enough support for the foot. That's why my next pair will be of the (earlier perhaps) closed boot type.

Quote: Where did Robert get his? You could have them made by Dirk Steinhorst of www.cohors.de, he really makes great shoes you can go the distance with.
Sarah Juniper made mine, and Martin Moser did the hobnails for me. Both did excellent work.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Type 1 does seem to enclose the foot more then the other two found. As for sturdyness and comfort of wear, I think Dirk could help, as he is an "Orthopädies schuhmacher". The uppers of the Deurne type 1 were seemingly made of thick leather.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Thanks, MMFA - that is a useful site. I already have a helmet, though. It is the soft kit I am building up.

Btw what helmet you get? Intercisa or Berkasovo?
A ridge helmet composited from the Koblenz finds. It was originally purchased from Armamentaria before being resold here on RAT and ebay.

To be honest, although I am focusing on soft kit to start, the helmet was a present from my partner for Xmas as a reward for the success of the novel!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Awesome SBH.

I plan on buying an Intercisa-I next year, and Im getting a Gallic_A for christmas to complete my principate Gear (besides heavy armor).