Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negativity towards Roman Groups....
Recently we had an invitation to a major event here in Canada, which was being held in our nation's capital, withdrawn because of lack of space. The event was celebrating the Normandy Invasion, and the gentleman organizing things ran out of room, when he had 2 museums donate about 150 tons worth of vehicles, including a sherman tanks and some howitzers.<br>
<br>
That was not the problem, I told him it wasn't a problem....on a list of groups where the Romans are the oddballs in light of this year's theme, I had no problem saying it's ok.<br>
<br>
What irked me was when he went on to say that some of the groups scoffed at the idea of having Romans at an event like this. It seems there is a pervasive attitude in some parts of Canada (namely north eastern Ontario and Quebec) that I know of, where being Roman earns you disrespect. Some feel it is because of Canada's short history, in that a reenactment group not doing something in Canada's history isn't nearly as important. I'm willing to bet half of these people with such attitudes are ignorant as to what we do, as well as having little idea of what the Roman army is.<br>
<br>
My response to this was simply to say that without the Roman Empire, groups of reenactors portraying WW I or II, War of 1812, US Civil War, and such probably wouldn't be around.<br>
<br>
This doesn't phase me too much...we've met other groups from other eras that were simply fascinated with us, and the overall response has been excellent.<br>
<br>
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this (I doubt any of the European based groups have, but I'd like your input anyway). <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
We experienced some problems..<br>
<br>
1) related to some orgs not being able to allow precolonial American reenactors in.. their charter, their nonprofit status did not allow it<br>
<br>
2) some events were/ are the wrong period.... Renaissance Faires for example. Talk about creative anachronism!<br>
<br>
3) some cultural bias... example: a local Highland Games had an image of "Romans" as butchers of Scots... A less local Games was initially unsure of early reenactors even though they allowed 1st C AD Celts... "What do Romans have to do with Scotland anyway?" .. that was corrected with some education and lots of personal contact.. I figured I put about 1000 miles on my truck and 4 years of one man talking presentations to work that one out.<br>
<br>
4) Religious bias/hatred/disgust.. we run into that ALL the time.. "Murderers of Iesua!" "Oppressors of Jews"... MOSTLY though it's more like concern for what they think Romans are... but after about 3 minutes of talk we usually win over minds, even some hearts... most folk DO NOT know history well.... dispelling the mythconceptions is fun and rewarding...<br>
<br>
4.1) we've participated in a Via Cruces.. "Way of the Cross"... at a Spanish language Roman Catholic Church. Frankly, it's fun to be politely booed or looked at with slight trepidation, Our Scipio plays a credible "Centurion" fluent in Spanish and Latin as he urges Iesua onward... that plus grim or bored Romans soldiers adds greatly to the atmosphere.. that plus a sloshing bucket of vinegar with a sponge on a stick....!<br>
<br>
4.2) at one event a small cadre of Orthodox Jews paid their way in, looking for WWII SS reenactors (didn't find any) found us though... it was dicey for a few minutes.... but talking and finding commonality in history "saved the day"...<br>
<br>
5) Romans looking like German Nazis.... every now and then someone mistakes the Vexillum for a Nazi banner...<br>
<br>
Hibernicus <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
<br>
Those are common problems in Italy too, maybe worst: I see we are all brothers in the same troubles. If just we succeed to talk a couple of minuts, the common people understand, but almost nothing is to do with the fanatic ones. Anyway Tiberius and Hibernice, my sincere compliments to you for the hard and fine spreading work of your groups for romanity against ignorance! Macte Virtute Diligentiaque Estote!!<br>
<br>
Valete semper,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Tiberius,<br>
<br>
You need to found a Fienian reinactment of the invasion of Canada in 1865/66 ?<br>
<br>
Its Canadian history & you get to play at killing them ?<br>
<br>
Conal<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I guess this means that attending Matt Amt's roman days is a possible go? <p></p><i></i>
You'll probably be the only one Lee. Most of us can't afford the time or money again. It's also tough to drive for 2 days worth, have a 2 day event, then come home again. It's really exhausting. We left friday morning, got there friday night...then left sunday afternoon, and got home sometime early monday morning. The exchange rate is never favourable, and having to rent vehicles adds too. I just don't think we can make it this year. Which sucks...<br>
<p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
I haven't noticed a huge amount of negativity with regards to being Roman, other than a "guys wearin' dresses, humph!" from one morbidly overweight "G.I." at one show last year. Perhaps this may change as a result of the Passion movie, I'm not sure (there has not been a large public event since the movie's release).<br>
<br>
On a sidenote, I'd like to respond to Hibernicus' comment:<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>2) some events were/ are the wrong period.... Renaissance Faires for example. Talk about creative anachronism!<hr><br>
<br>
My first event with your legion (Leg IX Hispana) a few years back was a Renn Fair in Long Beach, CA, and it was a lot of fun... This year, Leg IX applied for entry to the same Renn Fair, but was denied entry because they applied too late. So I'm not sure how you mean this to sound. This past fair certainly <em>did</em> have a large Celtic-Roman display put on by both Queen Medb's Encampment (who was actually the reigning "queen" of the event), and Legio VI Victrix, which was quite well-received by the public and the guilds there. After all, Roman Britain was a monumentally important period in the development of Western culture. Additionally, the rennaissance was in many ways inspired by Greco-Roman art an ideas... suddently marble busts were in fashion again! The Celtic-Roman camp was so popular that it was voted Permanent Member status by the board of directors there. I will note that QME/LVIV made sure to keep our presentations (wicker shield/rudis training, pilum target range, etc.) in our designated area, so as not to "blow the mood" of the Elizabethans present, and this was greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
It's been my experience that groups like ours are generally given free reign at militaria/history events, so long as they (a) are accurately portrayed, and (b) really strive to educate the public, including other reenactors, about our shared past. And, of course, provided they get their paperwork in on time<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Darius<br>
Legio VI Victrix, So. CA <p></p><i></i>
Avete<br>
<br>
I believe that Ren Faires are the wrong venue for early Romans, maybe OK for 15th C Byzantines... Ren Faires tend to be late period, 15th C - 17th C. Romans just do not belong... In the case of Queen Mebd Encampment here in Los Angeles an exception is in the works.. QME does 1st C Irish. Legio IX HISP has been participating off an on with QME for a decade, primarliy at Highland Games and at a small Ren Faire or two.. the argument presented was "well, if you're going to have 1st C Celts why not some Romans too?<br>
<br>
Many Ren Faires across the US allow and encourage early groups. If that's part of their theme then participation is OK in my book. The event is no longer a Ren Faire in fact but in name only...<br>
<br>
There's a "Ren Faire" in Southern CA that includes Medieval Klingons... go figure. I guess 24th C Space Romans would be OK too...<br>
<br>
My opinion but Romans would be as out of place at a 16th C Ren Faire as would WWII re-enactors. .. unless the Romans wanted to arm and dress as Renaissance Era people depicted them..<br>
<br>
Clarification... Valerianus, you seem to have confused a couple of events so for clarification...<br>
GDV: My first event with your legion (Leg IX Hispana) a few years back was a Renn Fair in Long Beach, CA, and it was a lot of fun...<br>
<br>
-It was the Queen Mary Highland Games<br>
<br>
GDV: This year, Leg IX applied for entry to the same Renn Fair,<br>
<br>
-It was the Long Beach Ren Faire.<br>
<br>
GDV: but was denied entry because they applied too late.<br>
<br>
-We did not "apply", I asked "Queen Medb" personally if we could attend Long Beach Ren Faire with her 1st C Celts. Our decision not to attend was based on personal conversations with her.<br>
<br>
Salvete,<br>
Hibernicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Magnus,<br>
this negativity occurs in all periods. Silly War reenactors look ascance at WWI and WWII reenactors, who pretty much look at them as hillbillies. RevWar and Silly War don't appear to mix all that well either. If I go to an event that has a lot of periods, I try and look at them for what they are... even though their impression appears bizarre to me. Hell, look at Star Trek people, they take that stuff seriously... even though we don't.<br>
DMV <p>DECIMUS MERCATIUS VARIANUS<br>
<br>
LEGIO IX HISPANA<br>
NorCal Chapter<br>
<br>
Netscape Aim/AOL screen name: Sturmkatze<br>
<br>
Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt.</p><i></i>
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)