Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right hand guard?
I remember seeing a hoplite reenactor...I think it was the Spartan and Amazon Warriors website, which is no longer up, wearing a hand guard on the right/spear hand. Anyone know who I am referring to, or were there may be an image of this reconstruction and perhaps even an original?

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I donĀ“t know of a hand protection but perhaps does that help:

[attachment=6069]Oberarmschutz3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6067]P1010049.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6068]57.15.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ritchie Pogo
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohors-praetoria.eu">www.cohors-praetoria.eu
Thanks, those are great images but I'm sure I've seen a reconstructed hand guard, whether or not it was based on an original, vase painting, or creative imagination I cannot say. It did not cover the fingers of the spear hand, just the top of the hand and I think the knuckles, its been quite some time and I wish I could remember the gentleman's name. I do remember he wore an outstanding panoply!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Go back a few pages in the "Show your Greek warrior impression" thread. I think I saw the reenactor you were referring to. I checked the Wayback Machine for the SAW site, but the images are mostly gone. I'd link to the thread item, but I don't really know how to do that.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Thanks! I did find the photos, not sure if its the same person but certainly the same type of hand guard that I was referring to. Would like to know the provenance for this as I have not seen anything like it in any vase paintings or museum collections. 8)

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Is this what you mean?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/armour4.htm
this has the only "find" of a hand guard that I know of and is recorded as bronze age on the site,
which of course, in itself (the site), is utter genius.

regards
Richard

ps, my friend made one as in the foto and we fought and it really doesn't protect your fingers at all;-(
Quote:Is this what you mean?

Yes Bill, thats the one, or at least one very much like what I've seen in the past. I assume this is you? Nice panoply!

Is this based on the Mycenaean find posted by Richard? Or is there another example that places the hand guard in a later context?

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad