Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you haven´t been to the Heuneburg yet...
you should start to plan your trip for next year. After that it will be closed for good...

Heuneburg Internet site

http://www.swr.de/nachrichten/bw/-/id=16...mmentieren
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Are they pulling the plug on it's funding?
What do they plan on doing with the site?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I suspect that the local council want the province to take over funding the museum, or at least help out. With this signal they mean either to send a strong message, or if it does not work they save 150.000 euros a year if the place closes down. I don't know about the bugdet they have, but where I live that's not very much money. A real shame.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Seems councils will save a penny here, so they can waste a few pounds on their own
disasters....sounds all too familiar.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
the local community has only 961 inhabitants... so 150.000.- IS a lot of money...
Christian K.

The way I read it is the 150,000€ is a loss, so what was the cost of running the museum?, seems a large sum for a smallish museum to loose every year but still its only the wages for 3 or 4 managers or a couple of concillors and we can all do with less of them!.. with the closure though Im sure the local community will loose much more then 150,000€ via loss of jobs and income from tourism... sort off cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Income from visitors would seem to max at around 100,000€ (estimated based on door price and 30,000 visitors per year) however thats only averaging around 100 visitors per day it seems, so most of the year must be quite slow with most visitors on weekends and holidays.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
A museum like this should be able to attract much more people than 30.000, despite being located in the middle of nowhere. The Saalburg has about 150.000 visitors per year, Keltenwelt Glauberg the same number in its first 16 months, the Pfahlbaumuseum Unteruhldingen more than 200.000, thus the interest is there.
Also I am surprised that they didn't try to increase the entrance fees first. Even with 30.000 the deficit can be matched if everybody pays just a few additional euros. Between 3 and 7.2 € for a unique museum is quite cheap compared to most things you can do in your spare time, or costs for fuel or a train ticket to get to the Heuneburg.
Michael
Quote:the local community has only 961 inhabitants... so 150.000.- IS a lot of money...
In that case I don't understand why the province did not step in earlier.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Do you mean the Landkreis or the state (Baden-Württemberg)? The Landkreis Sigmaringen is "strukturschwach"...
Christian K.

Bundesland. Baden-Württemberg indeed.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans