Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet found near Canterbury
Stefano.

Hattatt does also mention that these Nauheim type brooches do have an open work catch plate and he goes on to say, this area of these brooches are so very thin and most tmes broken when found as indeed we see in the larger picture that I have shown.
Brian Stobbs
I'm seeing anothr hole at the back, which would indicate the rear ring usually associated with the 2 straps attached at the rear, and fastening under the chin/neck across to each opposing cheek piece.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The holes may have been punched when the helmet was turned into a cinerary urn, maybe as anchor points for cords to hold the ash bag in securely.
Pecunia non olet
well there is a report in Pasthorizons here:
http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/...st-england

there are some pics
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Byron.

I do not think that hole we see at the occiput has any thing to do with straps it simply looks to be corrosion of the bowl, if it was for a strap I think it would have been much further down the neck piece nearer to the edge.

Then where John has mentioned that these holes were punched in at the time of burial cannot be correct for the two side ones are indeed very funtional holes made for the wearing of the helmet at manufacture, and it has also been mentioned that the brooch is possibly what held a cloth containing the bones just as other finds in the past have shown.
Brian Stobbs
As the person who excavated the North Bersted helmet I can categorically say these are very similar and that was a coolus type with small cheek attachments (no longer fixed) for a strap
There seems to be quite a bit of ambiguity on what is a montefortino and what isn't....

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=montefo...0,s:0,i:84

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=montefo...x=77&ty=72

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=montefo...s:100,i:13

Then this late montefortino seems to have some extra holes at the rear as wel.

http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquip...genum.html
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:As the person who excavated the North Bersted helmet I can categorically say these are very similar and that was a coolus type with small cheek attachments (no longer fixed) for a strap

Andy,

Welcome to RAT. Maybe a moderator could split off the posts on the North Bersted helmet, so that we are not highjacking this discussion.

When you refer to "small cheek attachments" do you mean the "figure 8" rings found on some Continental helmets? Would you be able to post photos here or direct us to a publication of the North Bersted helmet?

Any additonal information would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Byron.

It looks like I may stand corrected about the hole at the rear of that helmet bowl after looking at the last link you show, and looking at the fourth and eighth pictures of helmets with indeed a hole in the bowl just above the occiput that is most interesting thank you for showing these.
Brian Stobbs
Your welcome! It's interesting to see how close some of these look yet are given different terminology.
I like they have looked at several possibilities in the report, not zoning in on one possibility!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is the Annie Partridge’s (Canterbury Archaeological Trust) report of the discovery, with some pics … and a close up of the brooch (!)

[attachment=6063]F16688_1711SRBEX12helmetcopy.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Such a frail looking broach, are these types used specifically for fastening cloaks and garments in none conspicuous places, as opposed to being a display piece?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help save Roman Museum in Canterbury from closing Caballo 34 5,823 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: LvpvsRomanvs