Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine Hand Grenades
Some were dropped behind the lines into the tent camp from the Pterodactyl Patrols.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hmmm ,seems to be a herd of Norwegian Mountain creatures here.... Wink

[attachment=5964]840101_LA_trolls_norway.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I found better translations of "Automatic Fire" and a possible composition of Greek Fire:

"Automatic fire is composed of equal parts of native sulpur, rock salt, incense, thunderbolt stone, or pyrites, ground in a black mortar in the mid-day sun, and mixed with equal parts of the resin of the black sycamore and liquid asphalt of Zakynthos to a greasy paste. Then some quicklime is added. The mass must be stirred at mid-day with care and the body protected, since the composition easily inflames. It must be kept in bronze boxes with tight covers, protected from the rays of the sun until it is wanted. If the engines of the enemy are to be burnt, they are smeared with it in the evening, and when the sun rises all will be burnt."

An approximate composition of Greek Fire too:

“carcass composition”: liquid petroleum, naphtha, burning pitch, sulphur, resin, bitumen. saltpetre and turpentine (These are the remnants of ingredients not entirely used up by the reaction). Tallow and crude antimony. Possible active ingredients: calcium phosphide (made by heating lime, bones and charcoal; releases phosphine on contact with water, which ignites spontaneously). Colloidal suspensions of metallic sodium, lithium, potassium, or quicklime in a petroleum base.

I could make this stuff in my kitchen!!!