Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman knife shapes
Thats exactly what I was thinking Robert!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Those 'bundles' fill the space between the table top and shelf above, rather than 'floating' in the space as the other knives do.
I don't think they are floating - it looks like the larger knives are suspended from nails (most obvious with the sickles) whilst the knives on the shelf appear to be hanging from some kind of horseshoe-shaped clip, perhaps a rail viewed end on?
Quote:So I will venture another guess, taking Matt’s idea a bit further. They could be drawer like constructions, in which the knives are hung in slots. This would explain the tapered look of the “bundles” and the furniture character of the four square parts, which are level with the doors closing. Pulling one out would give access to the knives hung in them. In a portable cabinet, one tries to be as efficient with space as possible while showing off the wares at their best advantage.
That sounds pretty convincing. Presumably the original would have had drawers of the same width - or perhaps the increasing space taken up by each from left to right indicates knives of different sizes?
Sorry chaps, the bronze handled knife picture I posted had potential copyright hazards, which I belatedly realised :oops: But the knifes shown in the second row of that stele are very accurate, right down to the shape of the handles with a ring. When I have made my own version of this knifetype, will be posting a picture of the replica (in the for sale section :woot: )
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Nice work Robert.

Robert, I think that is what Matt was implying...nailed up, and the other recessed ones being in an alcove...

Using the term 'floating' as a description of their appear, rather than their actual condition! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well,
the book describe these as surgical kit...I do not want assume it as surely but maybe someone have study this stele before to write it. Are 2 bibliographic reference about leather bag for surgeon kit, well, If I find these book maybe is more cleare.

About the Matt and Robert opinion (wooden column) I'm not very convinced...but these are only my uncertain opinion.
Maybe not surgical instruments but other refined instruments? In the image not only knives but even a wax scraper?

Robert about your idea, if these were a cabinet, why these are closed and not open to show their precious items? The knives on left and rigth are on open doors...seems, because the width of the cabinet is like the drawer below.
Hope you understand my english.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Hi Marco, I do not think they were closed, just a way of hanging the utility knives in a pull out frame of some sort. Like an open work drawer. I am very curious about the book, though. They may describe their thoughts on this. My suggestion is just a hypothesis.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Whether the lower shelf objects are bundles or racks, it strikes me that the attenuation in size from right to left in their size matches the shift in size of the knives on the next shelf up. Perhaps the visible knives are show pieces, and the bundles/racks contained the same items but in quantity? If the contents were the same as what was shown above, it would be unnecessary for them to be open as it would be understood by the viewer that that was what they were.

Edit: If that were the case, perhaps Epaphra is shown in the act of taking a knife from the second bundle/rack? The square panel could then perhaps be a locked door behind which the knives were kept. Is it possible to tell if that second panel is angled outward or not?

(Of course it could just be a case of the sculptor being a bit lazy with calculating space, as they are often wont to be in the Roman world. If that were the case, perhaps the sculptor was left handed, going by the direction of the decline in size?)
I like the "brush hooks" which while primarily an agricultural tool were likely used in military contexts as well.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Correct! By the Dacians! That is where the falx came from.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers