Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A \"new\" discovery
Byron.

What may be rivets would have held it to a backing indeed but the backing could well have been leather as in horse harness very much the same way as with metal decoration on leather horse chamfrons.
Brian Stobbs
Possibly Brian! I was thinking of the phalarae plates in Edinburgh, just flat plated with inscriptions, which are said to be backing plates.
But leather too I suppose!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron

The back plates you refer to are the ones from Trimontium and were from centurians Phalerae but would have had thinner bronze raised figures wrapped onto them. These are very similar to the Lauersfort Phalerae but sadly missing their pictures today, but it is interesting that there is a kidney shaped backing piece like the double sphinx of the Lauersfort. The name on the Trimontium plates is Attici that may indicate that these phalerae were made by a craftsman named Atticus and the Lauersfort carry the name Medami that could indicate these were made by a man named Medamius.
Brian Stobbs
What a wonderful work!!! Fantastic.
Ritchie Pogo
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohors-praetoria.eu">www.cohors-praetoria.eu
Looking at the style of this piece I would also suggest it to be a cavalry piece over an umbo.
Just my 2 denarii, though.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Whatever it is I would agree with Brian that it is perhaps Mars and not Minerva as suggested in the accompanying articles.

If it IS a cavalry phalera, you wouldn't be hanging that on a little pony... :twisted:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Compare:
http://www.romancoins.info/milit-horse-headdress.jpg
http://www.romancoins.info/milit-horsearmour.JPG

Furthermore, likewise items are found from Schwarzenacker, Carnuntum, Miltenberg, Tabris and Bonn.

Ref: Jochen Garbsch: Romische Paraderustungen, 1978
ALA I BATAVORUM
Moi.

There is a book "Reiter wie Statuen aus Erz" by Marcus Junkelmann where he shows even a more larger model of one of these on one of his smaller mounts along with a copy of the chamfron known as Ganymede, made by Dieter Krompholz very similar to this copty I did some years ago of the same piece.
[attachment=5962]easyshare369Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5963]easyshare361Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Ah! I was thinking it was the headpiece to a horse. I wasn't sure, but that's cool.
Forgive me, I was being satirical! (or trying to be anyway!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
If I recall roman horses were quite small anyways.
They were like big ponies.
Ritchie Pogo
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohors-praetoria.eu">www.cohors-praetoria.eu
Quote:Even if there are holes, it need not be a shield boss.
Remember that you have to fastened the ansa with nails. This runs horizontally and not diagonally.
In this piece they run, if there are holes, diagonally. I think we have to see the back.

Yes, we have to see the backside, just as i wrote in my first post!

Not every shieldboss features holes for the ansa. There are some rectangular and also round shield bosses, which habe no separate holes for the ansa but a similar nail hole pattern as the one i suggested.

Have a look at Nabbefeld, Römische Schilde. By the way, i had a conversation with the author concerning this object and he thinks too that it MIGHT be a shield boss and not a phalera. I never wrote, that i am convinced this has to be a shield boss. No, i wrote, that there might be another possibility.

As far as no thorough examination of the object and better pictures are being published, i will not be convinced of either explanation. That is the scientist in me speaking. You, of course, may make up your opinion just as you like.
regards
noxia /Suzi
I consider this to be a Phalera that was used as part of a horse harness decoration fitted to the chest of the horse, it is made from very thin bronze sheet of about 1mm thickness and if we look closer this is indicated by the rolled edge all around it.

There may have been small pins at points around the edge and these would have been used to fix this repousse' figure to the harness chest leather, the edging is very similar to the replica horse chamfron I have shown it is the kind of thing one has to do to give the figure strength at its edge.

I would not only like to see the reverse of this piece but also a side view for on just estimation I would think it is around 6 to 7cm depth possibly 8cm which is good for this kind of thickness of metal. The shield boss I have shown was made from 0-9mm and that figure is around 5-5 to 6cm in depth.
Brian Stobbs
Philus Estilius:

I agree with you. These are precisely the reasons that speak for Phalerae.
Still we need to finish the scientific evaluation.
Ritchie Pogo