Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butzbach Spatha Assitance Please
Does anyone have any images of the aforementioned sword they would be willing to share please? I don't have ready access to Miks' book so not sure if it is in there (I was led to believe it was in Volume II?)

Thank you in hopeful expectation. Confusedmile:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi Moi,

Just checked Miks for you. There are only loose finds from Butzbach documented, no Spatha. Sorry ...
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
That's kind, Robert, thank you for looking.

Think it is a poisson rouge :oops:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes, only a scabbard chape etc., definitely in a 3th century CE context...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
There IS a spatha from Butzbach, though.

Um 700 diente der Burgus als Gräberfeld, man fand die Begräbnisstätte eines fränkischen Adligen, der sich hier noch, für seine Zeit recht ungewöhnlich, mit seinen Waffen in einem Grabhügel beisetzten ließ. Besondere Freude erregte dabei der Fund eines Spatha mit silbernen Verzierungen und silbernen Scheidenbeschlägen, verziert im germanischen Tierstil.

But it is Frankish, not Roman, and was found in the cementary that was established on the Roman Burgus, the grave identified as a Frankish nobleman. No picture I could find, however.

So perhaps not a red herring after all, but not one you can use to base your scabbard on.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Yes, only a scabbard chape etc., definitely in a 3th century CE context...

Thank you. but bother :|
Moi Watson

Quote:There IS a spatha from Butzbach, though.

Um 700 diente der Burgus als Gräberfeld, man fand die Begräbnisstätte eines fränkischen Adligen, der sich hier noch, für seine Zeit recht ungewöhnlich, mit seinen Waffen in einem Grabhügel beisetzten ließ. Besondere Freude erregte dabei der Fund eines Spatha mit silbernen Verzierungen und silbernen Scheidenbeschlägen, verziert im germanischen Tierstil.

But it is Frankish, not Roman, and was found in the cementary that was established on the Roman Burgus, the grave identified as a Frankish nobleman. No picture I could find, however.

So perhaps not a red herring after all, but not one you can use to base your scabbard on.

Aha! Well guessed Robert :-) I was hoping it and the scabbard were First Century.

So not going completely mad then just a bit fogetful LOL! If it isn't saddles its First Century long sword scabbards! :woot:

Perhaps I should take up knitting or sewing instead Sick
Moi Watson

:woot: No, I think embroidery is just your thing. Little stitches, lot and lots of little stitches. Very, very calming to frayed nerves, it would seem. Danish and Swedish men do it to pass the long winters nights! :dizzy:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
In my case it would be VERY cross stich ;-)
Moi Watson