Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get rivets? (Am making my first scutum.)
Actually, the Romans mostly seem to have used nails, not rivets. Large domed nails, like a carpenters nail. I struggled with the same problem untill someone pointed that out Big Grin So I dashed off to the hardwarestore and behold, my problems were over. They even had them in brass.
When you drive them through (OK to predrill a hole), do not cut off the way too long shaft but do as the Romans, bend the point to a 90 degree angle and then fold the nail down, driving the point back into the board. This turns the nail into a large staple and fixes your shieldboss just fine.
Good luck!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
You can also just use a plain old carpenter nail, the kind with the smooth head--not the crosshead textured ones--cut them short and peen the remaining part around a washer. Washers are easily made from small squarish scraps of sheet metal, like the trim parts from the shield boss itself. Works just fine, and is considerably cheaper than metal rivets.

Some plumbing type "Carriage Bolts" are available in brass, and those make nice brass rivets.

And there's this supplier: http://www.rjleahy.com/
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have found carpenter nails themselves to be too small. But the larger types make good heads. No real need to peen them, as there is data on them being stapled. Much quicker, too. I tried carraige bolts, they do make nice heads, but they have a pretty thick threaded shaft. If you are going to use carriage bolts, do not leave the ends too long after passing them through the square washer (which you can easily cut from brass sheet) before peening them. I have succesfully used a hardwood block to support the head, but you will find the shield wobbles all over the place. If you can find the large domed nails, I would certainly recommend you saving yourself some of the aggravation I had when making my first shields :wink: .

PS post us the results, others may benifit!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
The 100mm nails are big enough, but they start with flat heads. To facilitate peening, I anneal them by heating to a bright orange-red and then let them cool off in wood ashes. Makes a big difference.

I have also used the stapling method, and it works as long as the nails don't start coming loose. That requires fairly thick plywood. Many of our shields are just 6mm plywood, so there's not much wood to hold the nail tip.

I have a recessed depression on a dedicated anvil that is for rounding the nail heads and holding rivets in place, and it makes them a little more domed. This operation, however--peening boss rivets--takes two people. I can't seem to hold the shield still while peening otherwise.

We use steel washers if we're using steel rivets. Less rusting later, and it's a good way to use up little scraps of metal.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What I can't figure out is the rivets. Fellow North Americans, where do you get your rivets? Is there a supplier who sells them in all sizes? Google isn't much help, I find.

There are two sources on the Legio XX suppliers site, http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html#rivets . I have used both suppliers. I also make my own from copper wire (think grounding wire) or brass brazing rods or wire, but you need a block of iron/mild steel of desired thickness with a hole drilled all the way through.

Also, does anyone make a square washer in this day and age? I more or less draw the line at buying a drill press to make my own.

Snip sheet hobby brass in squares and punch, like with a Whitney punch (DO NOT DRILL, since it tends to turn into a buzz saw) the needed hole.

Occurs to me though that shoving a slightly larger square nail into a slightly smaller round hole will wedge the thing in and hold long enough to turn it over and peen it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
When I made my square washers, I marked out the cuts on a larger plate, outlining the washers to be, drilled the holes approx center of each marked square, and only then cut the washers with some metalshears :wink: .

Crimping the washers over the nails is a good idea, but to set them tight, best get a hollow tube a bit larger then the nail, place the washer on the point of the nail and use the hollow tube to tap the washer down over the nail. Then you cut off the pointy part just over the washer, leaving you enough to peen, couple of taps, done
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Take some nails with large heads and square shanks, mild steel mass produced decorative nails which come in a number of sizes will do, alter them mechanically by forging, grinding etc cut the shanks to a suitable length and taper them to a flat point, anneal shanks...

punch or drill suitable holes in your boss place on the shield, mark and predrill or burn the holes in the shield board slightly smaller then the shanks of the nails you intend to use...

place shield on suitable anvil position boss and drive nails through when they hit the anvil the flat points will turn over into the board, the anvil could be simply a piece 4 inch square bar set in a log(two people is better but done this by myself sitting supporting the shield on one knee or use a saw horse, chair anything suitable to support the shield).

or use a table with a hole in it( a large piece of chipboard suitably strengthened supported by saw horse type folding legs works for me)(only one person needed as the shield or anything else is now supported) and a heavy mandrel set in a large piece of wood, the mandrel a simple round or square bar protrudes through the hole in the table top for several inches as much as is necesary for the work, drive the nails through the board against the mandrel head(slightly dished) the nails will turn over.

The Table and mandral/s can be used to assemble many things belts, armor, shields etc and is easily stored when not in use.

If you wish you can rivet them instead but dont cut them off untill they've been driven through the board, make your washers by punching or drilling suitably spaced holes in a strip of metal, debur if needed and then cut out the washers with a cropper or tin snips, drive them over the the nails and cut the nail shanks down leaving enough for riveting. The nail head should rest on the anvil or mandral for riveting.

Its allways good to test on something first...

Hope this helps...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:When I made my square washers, I marked out the cuts on a larger plate
Yep, that's the way to do it all right. Drilling just one is a good way to slice a finger in a pretty ugly way.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.