Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Age Forum
Hi

I have been musing on the Anglo-Saxon, Viking early Norman era recently and have not been able to find a forum equivalent to RAT. Bit's & bobs on My Armoury, Sword Forum Inernational and VikingSwords plus a few gaming forums.

Is there a go to forum for the era AD500 io AD1200?

Cheers
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I think that this might qualify slightly under Byzantine considering many of the Varangians were norman after Hastings.

But really allies and enemies of Rome would be better for it, as Post-roman Britain and Rome continued to relate to each other somewhat.

EDIT: Also, the Kievan Rus and Byzantium were close allies (and occasional enemies) so definately allies and enemies of rome
Many of the Varangians were Anglo-Saxon after Hastings, not Norman. The A-S nobility were displaced after the Normans moved into England and travelled to the continent in search of employment opportunities.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I'm more concerned with the non-Roman/Byzantine elements of the "dark ages" so don't feel that the Allies and Enemies is the right place to broach such questions. We push our luck with the Arthurian question as it is ;-)
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:Many of the Varangians were Anglo-Saxon after Hastings, not Norman. The A-S nobility were displaced after the Normans moved into England and travelled to the continent in search of employment opportunities.

Of Course, my mistake.

@Conal

Unfortunately almost all of Medieval Europe interacted with the Byzzies at some point or another, the Crusades were because of the Byzzies (although an accident, it was a mis-interpretation of the pope's letter. The Byzzies thought the concept of a Hly War was barbaric), the Viking, Magyar, and Slavic Invasions were repulsed by the Byzzies.

Also, I do agree that maybe there should be a Dark Ages forum. A thousand years of our civilization being dropped on it's head is pretty significant dont you think?
Why not start a site? There is definitely a membership for one, lots of Dark Age reenactment groups these days. It needs a title that suggests something like, "Forum for the Germanic Dark Ages and Migration Era/Huns Welcome/Arthur Forbidden" Maybe a little less awkward than that.
Pecunia non olet
There ain't nothing like a DAME....Dak Ages and Migration Era?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Migration Period is somewhat covered here.
Quote:There ain't nothing like a DAME....Dak Ages and Migration Era?

Dark Age & Viking Era. .... Dave for short :whistle:
Conal Moran

Yoda