Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Brass Greaves Questions
I have a few Questions on Roman Greaves in Brass. 1st Century AD

I have seen the type and open and cling to the calve, some that hold on by chains, some that have leather straps. I would like to have a lear understanding of how they attached.

I have seen them padded and not padded. Which is advisable? And if you say padded... how would you adhere the padding to the backside of the greaves?

If rings or belts are fastened to the Brass Greaves... would you use Brass Dome Headed Rivets or Copper ones?

One final question... Does anyone have pictures or drawings of designs that may have been on the face of them?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick
Little greaves of the first century are known. Furthermore only the centurionate seemed to use them by that time, which means that only a small number of gravestones and other monuments are of any help as for design.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Patrick.

Here are a couple of pictures from the gravestone of Q. Sertorius Festus a Centurian of the XI Claudia Pia Fidelis at Verona, they do show decoration however they also have knee protectors with possible animal heads.

There is no way to tell how they were fitted due to the fact of this simply being carved on his tombstone, so we can only assume that they would have been held by rings and leather straps. If rings they would have been fitted with rivets but then we don't know if such rivets were brass/copper or even iron. The third picture does show better detail of the decoration with the first showing the full gravestone.
[attachment=5783]100_0317Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5781]100_0311Medium.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=5782]100_0313Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Patrick.

Here also is a picture of the Centurian Favonius Facilis of Legio XX at Colchester and where we see Sertorius Festus in his Parade armour Favonius is shown in what may well be his battle armour with only plain greeves again with knee protection.
[attachment=5784]img065Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
THanks Brian...

It seems like ever corner I am turning, I am finding a "Lack of Evidence." But it just makes the adventure a little more worth the trip in discovering my "impression". Would it be wrong to assume that an Optio would have worn greaves? I know that there is even less information and evidence on them.

Not to get too far off of my thread. The last picture you posted of Centurian Favonius Facilis of Legio XX at Colchester... What weapon is strapped to his right hip? Its too big to be a Pugio isn't it?
No, that's a pugio.

Working with very little evidence is the great fun of recreating the Roman soldier. If you want evidence then you should reenact D-Day or Shiloh where we know every detail of the clothing and kit. Working out your own impression based on fragmentary evidence is half the fun!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Thanks Paul... I appreciate it. I have come to some conclusions about certain things in building my Impression. I am always open for truth and fact and evidence so that I can be as authentic as possible. WIthout being a part of a reenactment group, I am thankful to forums such as this where I can glean from other people who have "Been there" "Done that" and "I'd buy that for a dollar" in order to help me on my way.

I don't want to add things that are or wouldn't be there because of my lack of knowledge.

And yes... I have already bought "JUNK" and said... "I could have made that!" And now know why others out there "Encourage" you to make it yourself. I have yet to be exposed to someone who has a total kit or impression made. What I mean... is all I have to go on is pictures and reading. I haven't been in the presence of someone with full armor.
Patrick.

With regard to your question about an Optio wearing greeves in the earlier 1st century I don't think he would have done, in fact even a soldier such as the Aquilifer of the Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis did not wear them and he was indeed a very prominent soldier of a Legion.

Here is a picture of L. Sertorius Firmus the Aquilifer of that Legion and he is not wearing greeves then where we look at his name Sertorius he may have been a relative of the centurian Sertorius Festus of that legion. These two tombstones of these soldiers stand together at the museum in Verona.
[attachment=5794]100_0324Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Patrick.

Here is a picture of these two tombstones where I am standing between them which should give you an idea of just how big they are, and indeed might we also think that both were made by the same stone mason.
[attachment=5795]AtVerona177Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Greaves - edging/wearing questions L_CORNELIUS_CETHEGUS 6 1,868 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar