Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reshaping a helmet?
I recently acquired an italic D. My problem is that it is wider than my head is and not as long front to back as my head. Thus, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good way to reshape it a bit so it is more narrow side to side and longer front to back. My bench vise isn't big enough to fit it into. Any thoughts?
AKA: Tony L.

LEG VI FFC, Coh II
I had the same problem.
I solved it by laying the helmet on its side an stepping onto it. Than repeating it on the other side.

It worked, but certainly is not the most elegant way to do it.
Quote:I had the same problem.
I solved it by laying the helmet on its side an stepping onto it. Than repeating it on the other side.

It worked, but certainly is not the most elegant way to do it.

Now that's a simple and practical solution :-)
Marc Byrne
*laughs* I had considered using my deadfall hammer but wanted to see if anyone had a more elegant solution first. Stepping on it does sound crude but certainly effective.
AKA: Tony L.

LEG VI FFC, Coh II
Sounds like a solution in the field. Like duct tape.

I think possibly using a leather lining might help.

My head is too big to have a cotton helmet cap, but too small to use the helmet itself, so I just throw some excess fabric from when I made my tunics in the bowl, and use that.
There was athread a while back re "squishing" Indian made helmets. My mate used a car jack so he told me. One thing, remember the "brow guard" is cast and will break. If you you search the forum i'm sure you will find usefull advice on making "round" helmets "head" shaped.
Kevin
Kevin
Remembers me my too expensive custom Pustelak Berkasovo helmet needs to be reshaped a bit. I'm still not sure how to do it, as it's a damn expensive piece of metal. I'm not evens sure if I would like to 'step onto' it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Perhaps you could use a large woodpress/woodclamp used to glue furniture, one of those things with a part that slides? That is what I would use. I just had a look at my two Deepeeka helmets, but the browguards on those seem not to have been cast. Forging them is a lot simpler then casting them, so I presume they were made by forging.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I build helmets and would be redicent to try "squishing" it. Some of the ideas, like Robert's could be good, however a lot would depend on the material and its thickness, quality of construction and the attachments on it. I tried adjusting a helmet I was making by distorting it and it altered the neck guard and the brow guard no longer fit the curvature. In your case if you could remove the brow guard it may become too short to align with the holes.
My honest advise would be to find someone it fits, sell it and buy another fitted to your head. Just my opinion, but please don't lose the money you have invested already by messing it up. You may get lucky, but then again, you may not.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Quote:Remembers me my too expensive custom Pustelak Berkasovo helmet needs to be reshaped a bit. I'm still not sure how to do it, as it's a damn expensive piece of metal. I'm not evens sure if I would like to 'step onto' it.

Wont the the makers alter it for you? surely a custom helmet comes with some guarantee of fit...

For the others I would take Roberts advice, sell it and buy and one from someone who will guarantee the fit....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Ivor, it was originally made for me! It was a bit too big for me and there's not much one can do about it (adding more padding is not a solution).
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]