Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally getting my kit done
Having purchased those items of my impression that I can't make myself (Maille, Sword & Helm is ordered) I have begun the process of crafting the other bits.

Inspired by some of the footwear appearing on the RAT lately here is my first attempt at Mainz Calcai.

Turnshoe construction from 2.5mm veg tan with a laminated sole - my pattern works!!! :-)

The next pair will have hobnailed soles, also laminated, and a few tweaks.

My personal preference is for these over caligae and I feel they will fit nicely into my 1Cent. impression based on service in Germanica/Britannia.

Sorry this was originally posted in the wrong area as I am relatively new to this forum business :whistle:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Patrick Urquhart
aka Ingvar Carnifex
Looks great! Where did you get your pattern? and how did you laminate the soles?
I used the sole from a later pair I make quite often and then developed the upper from a couple of "how I made them" article photos. When I am happy with the pattern I might publish it as a freeby for those who would like to have a go at my version.

The sole is stitched with the flesh side out then the second sole is glued to it. A slit is cut at 45 deg all around the edge to a depth equal to half the sole thickness and the stitching is done in the groove straight through to the top sole. The slit is then glued shut and there you have it - no visible stitching underneath. This is an old boot making technique which works just fine for this project. Hope this makes sense Wink

I am very used to turn sole construction and really don't want to make a new last for everyone so it works for me.
Patrick Urquhart
aka Ingvar Carnifex