Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Fort/Castle
Hi

I remember seeing a picture of a Roman stone fort that had it's walls still intact but now had a town inside it. Can anyon eplease enlighten as to which town this might be?

Regards

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Conal,

Assuming you are recalling a UK site, maybe you are thinking of Caerwent, South Wales? It was an urban site rather than military, but the walls are strong, well-preserved and broadly playing-card shaped in form, while the modern settlement is contained within the perimeter.

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/...5.jpg.html

I was struggling to think of any military sites where the complete perimeter still exists, but a modern town overlays the interior. Chester is another possibility, but in common with "successful" settlement sites (i.e. ones which have thrived and become modern cities rather than suffered abandonment), the walls were built upon and adapted in the middle ages, and what is visible today is a mixture of Roman and later development:

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/...b.jpg.html

Regards,
John
Caerleon still has fortress wall but not a huge amount of it (in the North Western area, by the amphitheatre) as does Colchester (but probably civilian as its a Colonia) and York.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
No, not UK but is just like Portchester in that all the walls seem to be intact. I had downloaded the picture and will try to attach.
Conal Moran

Yoda
Could not post picture, sorry :-(
Conal Moran

Yoda
Boulogne old town - medieval walls built on earlier Roman walls (and medieval castle in one corner, like Portchester)?

http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritag...ldtown.htm

Or Lugo in Spain - these are quite impressive walls, and I think still substantially Roman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Walls_of_Lugo
Nope, doesn't look like those two. PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you the picture.
Conal Moran

Yoda
You're not thinking of Diocletian's Palace at Split, are you?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Hmmmm, Rome? :whistle:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Le Mans perhaps?

[attachment=5735]France_155.JPG[/attachment]

Carcassonne?

[attachment=5736]france2008-g62.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:No, not UK but is just like Portchester in that all the walls seem to be intact. I had downloaded the picture and will try to attach.

I'm curious to see the photo, but I will take a last guess: this one is not Roman, rather medieval, walls completed c1300 I think, but bears a strong resemblance to Portchester with buildings, Aigues Mortes in Provence. It was the scene of St Louis' departure for the 7th Crusade and it is possible to walk all around the walls today:

http://www.lemasdesvignesacalvisson.com/...es_mortes2
That's the one John. Not Roman then Cry

I've e-mailed you my picture.
Conal Moran

Yoda
I've always liked the look of Aigues Mortes, and fancied going there one day. Does anyone know whether the walls and gates are at all similar to (late) Roman styles? There seems to be at least a resemblance, from the aerial photos...
Nathan Ross
Aigues Mortes it is then - I have tried to attach the image.

General configuration is not a million miles away from late Roman, especially the overall shape, but the details look clearly medieval as I recall, e.g. no red brick courses, towers are circular or quadrilateral rather than "projecting semi-circular", and the stonework I think is faced with ashlar blocks. (It's been a few years since I visited, so memories may be a little rusty.) It is however a lovely site and definitely worth a visit.

I always recall that one of the towers is called La Tour des Bourguignons because during the Hundred Years War, the locals massacred the Burgundian garrison. They were too numerous to bury quickly, so the story goes, to avoid any public health risk they salted them and stored them in the tower. This unappetising story comes back to me every time I hear the mention of Boeuf Bourguignon!

Regards,
John

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Roman Castle found at the Mosel Eleatic Guest 32 8,762 02-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Cardiff Castle Roman gate Caballo 4 2,085 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Caratacus