Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal: Fields of Blood - Cannae excerpt
The battle is about to begin:

‘Hades, why are we forming up with such a narrow frontage?’ complained Quintus, who was standing in the seventh rank with Urceus and four of his tent mates. ‘Six men wide per maniple? It doesn’t make sense. At this rate, none of us will get to do any fighting.’

Urceus shrugged his broad shoulders. ‘We’ve a better chance of being alive come sundown, though,’ he whispered.

It was as if Corax, who was in the front rank, had supernatural hearing. His head twisted. ‘Who’s that whining?’

Quintus buttoned his lip and stared straight ahead, at the back of the helmet of the man in front.

‘We form up as ordered, you miserable lowlifes! Is that clear?’

‘Yes, sir,’ they all answered.

Corax’ scowl eased. ‘I know it’s fucking uncomfortable standing here, waiting to move forward. I know how hot it is, how you want to get it all over with. But Varro knows what he’s at. So do Paullus and Geminus. This is where we’ll fight because here we have our flanks protected.’ Quintus’ eyes shot to the line of low hills that ran along their left side, and the fortified walls of Cannae, where Hannibal’s camp had been until a couple of days before. Somewhere at the foot of the slope, Varro was positioned with the allied cavalry. Out of sight to his right lay the River Aufidius, which they had forded to reach this spot. There his father and Calatinus would be, under Paullus’ command. He prayed that they would fight bravely, and live to see victory. Corax was still talking, and Quintus quickly focused in again.

‘We move when Geminus says so, not a fucking moment before!’ yelled the centurion. ‘Not every soldier here today is as well trained as you lot. The four legions that just joined us are mostly made up of wet-behind-the-ears lads who haven’t yet shaved, let alone faced the guggas. Forming them up narrow and deep takes time, and we’re doing it because then it’s far easier for their officers to maintain formation as we advance. And in case you hadn’t got it through your thick skulls yet, keeping our formation is all-important today! We’ve got to hit those Carthaginian whoresons so hard that they never recover from the shock of it. Twenty-four ranks of us should make sure of that, eh?’

Everyone within earshot cheered.

Corax looked satisfied; he looked away. Although the centurion hadn’t identified him as the one who’d spoken, Quintus breathed a sigh of relief. ‘At least we’ll be able to throw our javelins. The men three ranks behind us won’t even be able to do that,’ he muttered to Urceus. ‘We might not even get to draw our swords if the Carthaginians break quickly.’

‘Don’t be so sure,’ came the solemn reply. ‘The cogs of war are relentless once they begin to turn. They could well grind enough men up to ensure that our swords get blooded this day.’

The allusion was grim enough to dampen Quintus’ enthusiasm a little. This was where he wanted to be, however. Becoming an infantryman was what he’d wanted, and what he had finally achieved. It was a world apart to what he had known as a cavalryman, and his skills were very different too to those he had learned as a veles. No longer would he be able to charge his horse, to wheel and ride away from the enemy if needs be. There would be no running charge at the Carthaginian lines either, no exchange of spears with the opposing skirmishers and the possibility of retreating to the relative safety of his own forces. Instead he would march, pressed up against thousands of his fellows, straight at Hannibal’s men. And it would happen this morning. Several hundred paces to their front, the enemy army was forming up. Quintus could hear the Gaulish carnyxes being blown. Parr-parr-parr. Zzzeyrrp. Parr-parr-parr. Zzzeyrrp. Booooooooo. He didn’t like hearing them again. As at Trasimene, they promised bloodshed, in the most violent of ways. Unlike the previous day, there would be no getaway, no option of withdrawing to the safety of their camp. In the confined area between the hills and the river, a battle on the grandest scale was about to start. Whichever set of infantry prevailed would win the day, of that he had no doubt. The contest would be bitter, right to the end. Countless men would fall, on both sides. The doors to the underworld probably lay open already in anticipation.

Quintus swallowed hard, tried to ignore the urge to piss. How could his bladder be full again? he wondered. He’d emptied out every last drop before they marched out of the camp. A moment later, he was pleased when Urceus balanced his scutum on one hip and freed himself from his undergarment with his free hand. Quickly, he copied his friend. Their actions set off a rash of men doing the same. ‘Don’t piss on the back of my legs!’ protested a number of soldiers. A wave of nervous but relieved laughter rippled through the maniple.

I’m not the only one who’s scared, thought Quintus, oddly reassured.

Parr-parr-parr. Zzzeyrrp. Parr-parr-parr. Zzzeyrrp. Booooooooo. Even at a distance, the carnyxes unearthly sound could compete with the sounds of the Roman trumpets and the officers’ shouts.
‘Fucking savages! That’s the mating call of the Gaul! Anyone seen some dog-ugly women about, lads?’ Corax had seen what was happening. He broke ranks and moved to stand where he could see them better, cupped a hand to his mouth. ‘Most Gaulish “women” have worse beards than Hercules himself. I should know, I’ve seen them! They’re broad in the beam too, with hips like a suckler cow. If you see any of the bitches, keep them at javelin length, or you’ll catch a bout of pox that will knock you on your arse for a month.’

The mood lifted. Men winked at each other and chuckled.

‘There’s nothing like the prospect of battle to make men want to urinate. It happens to me too,’ Corax said in a loud voice. ‘Some of you might also need a shit. Don’t stand on ceremony. I advise you do it while you can. Better your comrades’ laughter than to have it run down your leg when a gugga is busy trying to gut you. If you’re feeling sick, there’s no shame in puking either. Empty your guts now, and you won’t have to when to do so will mean your death.’

Silence. A few soldiers cast embarrassed looks at one another. There was a little stifled laughter.

‘I’m fucking serious, lads!’ bellowed Corax. ‘If your body needs rid of something, let it out now! If you don’t, you’ll regret it later.’

Quintus was mightily relieved that he’d used the latrine trench earlier. He glanced at Urceus, who smirked. ‘I had a good shit before we left the camp, don’t worry.’ One of their tent mates wasn’t so lucky, however. A chorus of lewd jokes and complaints about the smell rained down on him as, red-faced, he squatted where he was and emptied his bowels. Hoots of amusement and insults rose from elsewhere in the maniple as other soldiers did the same, or were sick.

Corax waited, hands on hips, until the ranks had settled again. ‘All done?’

A few muted voices answered, ‘Yes, sir.’

‘Fine. You’ll feel better having shed that weight.’

Titters of laughter.

‘How bad is the smell, lads?’ asked Corax.

‘Fucking terrible, sir!’ shouted a voice.

He leered. ‘That’s what I like to hear. It’ll keep you from falling asleep while we wait. Why don’t you smear a bit on the tips of your pila? There’s nothing like a coating of shit or puke to cause a wound to fester. Think of that when your javelin sinks into the flesh of a stinking Gaul!’

The legionaries liked that. Their lines rippled a little as men shifted to follow Corax’ suggestion.

‘The order to advance won’t be long coming,’ cried the centurion. He pointed to left and right. ‘The velites are ready. The cavalry’s in position. Most of our front rank is in place. The principes and triarii are right behind us. The velites will commence hostilities, but it won’t be long until our moment of glory is here! Our chance to balance the scales after what happened at the Trebia and Trasimene. I want the ground to run with Gaulish blood! Gugga blood! The blood of every filthy son of a whore who follows Hannibal!’

There was a loud rumble of agreement as they digested that. There was still a tinge of nervousness in the air, but the general mood was calm, determined. The carnyxes had been forgotten for the moment. Corax’ jokes about shit and piss had lifted men’s spirits, thought Quintus admiringly. The centurion had allowed his soldiers to feel scared, without panicking them. It had been skilfully done. ‘Are you ready to give Hannibal’s rabble the hiding of their lives, boys?’ called Corax.

Quintus licked his lips, gripped his pilum shaft, gave a Urceus a tight nod. ‘YES, SIR!’ they both roared.
So too did every man in the maniple.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Oi don't be spoiling it for me now! ;-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Libyans have just wheeled in from the flanks. The Gauls and Iberians have stopped retreating. Encirclement is about to seal the Romans' fate...
:twisted:
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
BLAH BLAH BLAH....I'm not listening....lol
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have to add this one to my Wish List. Which also means I will have to get the first one, too.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
The text is captivating, sounding great. Smile
The first one was great, definitely worth it....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the excerpt - you've definitely piqued my interest! Smile
Sunset. Some of the Romans escape. Finishing their POV. About to go back to the beginning of the battle to write it from the POV of the main Carthaginian characters.

www.benkane.net