Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata
Hello Patrick. Making your own segmentata can be very very exciting, to you and us!I suggest you make your own as you'll appreciate it more and learn and want to make other things. It's not something that requires lots of skills, but it's usually better to start with some rather than learn from your mistakes on the "real" thing. In other words, get some tape and cardboard, and with life size patterns, cut out all the pieces you'll need for your segmentata, and get it to fit you with a robe on. Or a cheat, make only one half of the segmentata, as it's fairly reversed on the other side. You might find that one of the half's shall have to be longer on the torso area so that the plates may overlap when you tie them together. This may or may not be a problem. I will show you a couple pics to explain easily from Legio xx. Hope you don't mind, educational purposes only.

"1. For most reenactors... do you make your own or do you purchase it?"
....We buy them mostly, or have someone else, another reenactor make them... :/

"2. Looking at around 40 a.d. - 70 a.d. what would be the common style of Lorica Segmentata for the Ephesis or Philippi area? (Helmets included... what type of Helmet may have been worn in that area?)"
I believe the Corbridge A and B types are fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about the provincial variations, other than the colors you use, and having a linen tunic rather then a wool for warmer climates. Helmets, too many types, go on some sites and they'll tell you what time eras the originals were from, but you should remember that armor etc, remained in service for maybe 50 years...or so...

"3. For those of you who have made your Seg. Do you suggest purchasing the brass parts or making them yourselves?"
I have done a fair bit of work, or compared to others here ( no offense) a lot of MEDDLING with brass, and it's one pain in the a%% IF you're not going to be professional about it, it won't look good. I suggest you make it!!! But be prepared to make a few cockups...Brass is really easy to work with, and you may have some great fun seeing yourself making hinges and buckles!!!

"4. In fastening the brass to the 18 gauge mild steel, do you suggest brass dome or copper dome rivets? Which of the two tarnish faster? ( I know this may be a matter of prefference, but would they blth be historically accurate? Or one more then the other? And which in your opinion looks better?"
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but COPPER ALL THE WAY haha! Rivets had more of a copper composition I believe, than that of brass. Copper also introduces color Smile Copper is softer thus easier to peen, copper is more accurate.

"5. What ounce of leather do you use on the interior? Thickness?"
This HAD been discussed here on RAT before, try searching it, but quickly off my head, ummmm thicker is better than too thin that it'll stretch and leave gaps in your armor! I think 8 oz is roughly it, but different areas have different strains, requiring thicker leather.

"6. Are brass or copper washers (Round ones) acceptible as apposed to hand made square ones?"
Just make your own!!! With making your own brass parts, you're going to have lots of extra little bits!!! You'll be able to get what you want from these parts, just draw out on your extra brass, even little squares and drill holes in them! Once cut out you can cut off the sharp corners, this is easssssyyyy and looks way better! Plus not a sharp hazard!

Anyway, I did the cardboard part and I'm satisfied, when I am finished with my belt I will decide what next. I'm a busy person, anyway hope to hear from you soon with some progress.

Good luck Patrick,

Sam

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Possibly Constructing my First Lorica Segmentata - by Fidelis Sam - 09-20-2012, 02:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Maintenance? Roman Military History is 4 Me 8 3,652 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Noob question - Wearing lorica segmentata Faustinus 6 3,567 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Agricola
  Leather cords/laces for Lorica Segmentata Agricola 4 2,332 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Agricola