Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
original Xiphos images
Hello guys,
I'm looking for images of original greek Xiphos swords (not machaira), possibly conserved in museums.
Wandering here and there, I found someone but only sold by private dealers, I can't find anyone in museums.

I'm pretty confident that RAT is the best place to get an help, is there someone who can give me informations?

Thanks! :wink:
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
You have some info about the xiphoi of Alfadena, Campovalano and Vergina, with pictures of the originals, in this thread in myarmoury.com:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=25685
Eduardo Vázquez
Thanks, Tiberius.
That's the problem, I know those swords for seeing them by myself, but they are in Italy, not in Greece.
Moreover, Campovalano is in Oscan land, Alfedena in Samnite one, both in centre Italy, not in Magna Graecia.

I suspect none of such swords had been found in Greece, this is why I'm looking for.

Is there anybody who knows some specimens found in Greece?
Marco

I can't remember where I got these, but I think they are from macedonia in Phillips time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim K
Hello everyone,
The second image should be a close up of the sword found in the royal tomb of the so-called Philip II in Vergina (Greece). Here is the image of the entire sword (sorry for the bad quality).
About other swords found in Greece at the moment the only one that comes to my mind is the one cited by P. Connolly (p. 63) described as: “Early Greek iron sword from Kerameikos, c. 820 BC”
Best

S.M.

edit: P. Connolly, "Greece and Rome at war" (1981), p. 63, fig.6

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Thank you both of you.
What Connolly's book, Ligus?

Anyhow, such swords are not the same of the centre-Italy ones, similar but not the same.
Marco

A couple of Archaic examples from Aiane in Macedonia:
[Image: 11247370413_aca1b9e648.jpg]
Iron swords from Aiane, loc. Leivadia by diffendale, on Flickr

An Iron Age or Archaic example from the Sanctuary of Zeus on Mt. Parnes in Attica:
[Image: 6009014128_1fd6a9ee34.jpg]
Alabastra, sword, axe, and spits by diffendale, on Flickr

Another Iron Age or Archaic example from Parnes:
[Image: 6009013204_9084ca0c71.jpg]
Cutlery ktl by diffendale, on Flickr
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan