Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Rome Research Material?
Hey there guys,

First thing: sorry about making some annoying threads recently.

Second thing: I want to learn more about the Roman Army during the Republic, and was wondering if someone can point me towards a few really good books, scholarly papers, anything on archaeology, some ancient historians, some primary/secondary sources, articles, or any other type of material I can use for research.

The time period that I am interested in is from the 3rd Samnite War, to the end of the Republic.

If anyone can help that would be great, and again, sorry bout my annoying threads before.
Quote:a few really good books ...
Lawrence Keppie's Making of the Roman Army should be your first choice.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Description of the book I found on fishpond.com.au

Quote:"The Making of the Roman Army" explores how a small citizen militia guarding a village on the banks of the Tiber evolved into the professional Roman army. Lawrence Keppie pays particular attention to the transitional period between Republic and Empire - the time of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, and Augustus. Keppie overcomes the traditional dichotomy between a historical view of the Republic and an archaeological approach to the Empire by making the most of the often overlooked archaeological evidence from the earlier years.

This sounds great, and is all in the area that I looking for. Only $26 AUS dollars too Smile Most probably get it very soon.

Although, is there any books that focus more on the period between the 3rd Samnite War and the 1st Punic War?

Thanks for the reference anyways
Above all, from what point of view? Weapons, army organization, catalogues....?
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
I would have to say arms, armor and equipment.

EDIT: Possibly clothing too. So I guess the appearance of the warrior is what I'm looking for.

I found Jeremiah B. McCall book on Republican Cavalry, which sounds like what I'm looking for (although I am looking for both cavalry and infantry). Has anyone else read this book? Would you suggest it?
Quote:Although, is there any books that focus more on the period between the 3rd Samnite War and the 1st Punic War?
For this, you definitely need Roman Conquests: Italy. It has discussion of equipment, too.
Thank you for that.

Are the other Roman Conquest books in the series good as well?
Quote:Are the other Roman Conquest books in the series good as well?
Sorry, I have only read that one. Maybe someone else can comment on the others?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PEOPLE ยท Republican and Imperial Rome family tree poster Cornelius Hirsch 2 1,519 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Cornelius Hirsch
  Republican Rome Hastati Impression bobthecenturion 14 3,091 10-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus