Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trumpetter and a statue?
In one of the buildings in Aquincum, I spotted this cast.

[attachment=5292]17_mus_aquincum.jpg[/attachment]

The man to the right is a cornicen, the man to the right appears to be a statue. Does anyone know more about the original? I have never seen something like this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
This is the grave stela of Aurelius Bitus, cornicen of legio II Adiutrix, 3rd C. AD.
The figure on the base is his son.
For the inscription, which is on the lower part of the original, see CIL III 15159

Regards
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
THANKS!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It appears that Aurelius is holding his Will in his hand which is a common theme for many Stelae leaving everything to his son.
Brian Stobbs
How interesting!
You can see the mouthpiece, which he is holding in his right hand, and the instrument in left. The guy on left, looks as if he could be a tubicen. You can see the shape of a mouthpiece above his left hand, he seems to be holding what looks like a straight tube.

Thank you so much, it helps me in research so much.
Peter
Quote:How interesting!
You can see the mouthpiece, which he is holding in his right hand, and the instrument in left

I think that is which-full thinking. I think his right hand holds a scroll, possibly his will, like Brian suggests.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That is definitely a mouthpiece for several reasons.

1. Roman brass instruments had detachable mouthpieces, and if look at the Cornu/Buccina, you will notice there is no mouthpiece on the instrument.

2. You cannot play a brass instrument without a mouthpiece, it almost impossible.

3. A Roman trumpet mouthpiece was on average 6-7inches in length. If the iconography is in perspective and accurate, it is the right length.

4. The most important clue is the shape. At the top you have a 'V' shaped end, which is called the 'Cup'. That is what he would 'blow' into. At the bottom end it is straight. Look at the bottom end of the mouthpiece, with lead-pipe of the Cornu/Buccina and you will find that the opening is is very similar in diameter. The mouthpiece slightly larger in order for it to fit over the lead-pipe.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5131/...uscopy.jpg

This image may make it slightly clearer.

This the Gladwin road mouthpiece at the museum in Colchester
[Image: ar003022.jpg]
Peter
Is that on the left an Altar or could it be a Pedestal for the figure on the left does look so small, and some do tend to put their nearest and dearest upon a pedestal, could the Romans have done that also.
Brian Stobbs
Interesting, though after looking at the clearer image. I think that the will is what is being held on the left sculpting.
Peter
Yes, looks like Junior is certainly holding a scroll (and pointing at his father to show where he got it!), but Senior does indeed appear to be holding a mouthpiece. Well spotted, Peter.

Funny point about parents putting their children on pedestals! I would assume it's to show the relative status between the two figures...
Nathan Ross
I'm interested in what appears to be the figure on the right not only holding his musical instrument but what also appears to be a shield strapped to his left arm?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
That is part of the Cornu, it is a strengthening bar. Look at my avatar, and you will see what I mean.

That bar has two main purposes. To strengthen the instrument, and prevent it from breaking, especially when made of brass rather than bronze. Also for ease of playing, that bar rests on the left shoulder so the instrument is relatively comfortable to control, especially whilst on the march.
Peter
Quote:That is part of the Cornu, it is a strengthening bar. Look at my avatar, and you will see what I mean.

That bar has two main purposes. To strengthen the instrument, and prevent it from breaking, especially when made of brass rather than bronze. Also for ease of playing, that bar rests on the left shoulder so the instrument is relatively comfortable to control, especially whilst on the march.

Have a look again at the picture you posted, on the figure on the rights left arm there is a very solid looking object which is most shield like in appearance. Its nto the strengthening bar, as you can clearly see that as well. Its something solid and shield like on his arm.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Ah I see what you mean, it could be a shield, as if you look at this picture here of the Ermine Street Guard, their cornicen, has a shield. Though some did, some didn't?

[Image: MARLE%20COLUMN.jpg]
Peter
Quote:You can see the mouthpiece, which he is holding in his right hand, and the instrument in left.
As soon as I read that I remembered I'd seen that little trick before: Sibbaeus at Mannheim (he's from the cohors I Ituraeorum from Mainz)!

[Image: 6884855969_0ba4336464.jpg]

Except it looks more like... well, use your imagination, but I think it's meant to be a mouthpiece!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there