Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is this emperor?
In the Museum of Arts in Budapest
[attachment=5291]soldier_emperor_sIII_artmushu.jpg[/attachment]
is this bust of a third-century military emperor. No identification is mentioned. Does anyone have any idea?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
That looks like Philip the Arab (r. 244-249).
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
I think I would say it may well be Maximinus Thrax 235-238 AD he was the biggest man ever to hold the office of Roman Emperor the Historia Augusta tells us he was 8 feet 6 inches ( 2-6 m )
Brian Stobbs
Perhaps it's Gordian II, although the nose and furrowed brow does make him look a bit like the busts of Maximinus Thrax.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Are we even sure it's an emperor? Surprisingly, there were a few busts made of private individuals!

If it was, I'd guess perhaps Volusianus...

[Image: CaePicVolusianus.jpg]
Nathan Ross
Quote:Are we even sure it's an emperor? Surprisingly, there were a few busts made of private individuals!
Indeed! Why an emperor?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Perhaps it's Gordian II, although the nose and furrowed brow does make him look a bit like the busts of Maximinus Thrax.

Agree with this and would lean towards the latter, although it's a softer image of Thrax than other busts I've seen.

Take on board the point people are making regarding is it even an Emperor. If it's not the likeness to several is quite striking.
Marc Byrne