Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neck protector
This past weekend we had an event in Greenville, SC, USA with some gladiator fights. I fought as secutor and Mrymillo. My new gear from AER preformed very well and I am not leaving myself open to attack as I have been in the past. I do still have one problem thou, my neck/collar bone area. The other fighter told me that it was the only place I was leacving open for attack.

I have looked around but don't have access to proper sources to see if I can find gladiators, specificly secutor/mrymillo, with some kind of neck/collar protection. I have found a few pics on an internet search but I believe them to be the helmet. Looking at the Ars Dimicandi videos, of the secutors, it looks like they do have some protection around the neck area. Not sure if it is a seperate piece, part of the manica, or I am making it up.

Can anyone help?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Have PM' d you
the only neck specific guard I have seen is thought be a Samnite throat guard, dated to the 3rd-2nd century bce, ex Guttman, sold at Christies. i would be interested if anyone knows of any others also.
Regards
richard
There are a few depictions of gladiators wearing padded helmet "hoods" that seem to also cover the throat and neck.
But actually if your helmet does fit you OK your throat should be protected by the lower extensions of the visor halves.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
My helmet fits as it should, or at least I believe it does. The neck, from the shoulder to the bottom of the head, is really not the issue. The collar bone area is my problem. I was hit there twice and the other two fighters said that was the only spot open to them they could hit.

Yes, I moving the scutum grip lower to raise the shield up but is it possible to extend the manica around the neck to help protect that area?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum Arm Protector wolle1301 9 4,053 10-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius